Focus Timing belt change

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2000 Focus with a Zetec engine. My engine has almost 100,000 km on it and is due for a timing belt change. Has anyone changed this belt on their own? if so what problems did they
have???? In event of the timing belt breaking is there valve/piston clearance on the Zetec engine, or does the valves go through the piston?
Thanks in advance for any help.
As far as I know, 1400 and 1600 cc engines would be damaged after a timing belt rupture but 2000 cc engines are designed to survive such an event.

What about 1800?

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

That's also an interference design (i.e. valves will hit pistons if the belt fails).
Also to clarify the surgeon's statement, it's only the SOHC 2.0l engine available in the US that is non-interference. The 2.0l DOHC Zetec engine is an interference engine.
--
Paul Giverin

Paul, are you *sure* that the 2.0l DOHC Zetec engine is an interference design?
The Focus service manual says this as part of the timing belt installation procedure (Section 303-01D: ENGINE - 2.0L ZETEC-E):
-------begin quote------ Turn the camshafts to ignition position on cylinder number 1 and insert the special tool into the camshafts. -------end quote------
This is with the crankshaft immobilized with the special tool: "Timing Peg, Crankshaft TDC 303-574 (T97-P6000-A)".
It would not be possible to safely turn the camshafts from an arbitrary starting position with the crankshaft at TDC if the engine were an interference design.
Whether the engine is an interference design or not, it is wise to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on inspection and replacement of the timing belt and associated components.

Section 303-01D actually refers to the 2.0l Duratec engine.

My copy of the Ford manual states that you "Turn the camshafts to the ignition position on cylinder No. 1" THEN "Rotate the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder No. 1".
Of course if you are just changing the timing belt, you wouldn't want to rotate the crank or the cams with the belt off and there would be no need to do so.
--
Paul Giverin

Not in my manual. I'm quoting from the CD-ROM version, part number FCS-12551-00C15 May 2000, Version 15.0, which I have here at work. I also have the printed version at home:
" Section 303-01D: ENGINE - 2.0L ZETEC-E Section 303-01E: ENGINE - 2.0L SPI " The CD-ROM and the printed versions that I have match exactly, at least for the stuff I've looked up so far.

Agreed, but so far no one has come up with any text from a Ford publication that warns against turning the crank or cams without the timing belt attached, which is a pretty good indication that the 2.0l Zetec-E is a non-interference design.

On US spec 2litre SPI engines belt breakages dont hurt the valves.
On *all* the other engines you will have bent valves. That inclues the 2 litre SEFI zetec E (i.e. the one us europeans get)
Tim..

That's really interesting because here in Turkey, I have been said that the 2.0 Liter DOHC engine is not an interference design. I will clarify this and report here.
Re Ford Focus timing belt. I contacted four Ford dealers in my area, and they all said the there IS clearance between the valve and piston should the timing belt fail on a Zetec engine. However it would still be advisable to change the belt at the 100,000 km mark. I just hope they are right ???

[top posting fixed]

My Ford Focus shop manual says for the 2.0l Zetec-E engine:
"The timing belt must be installed new after 150,000 km (90,000 miles) or after 10 years."

Why shouldn't they be?
Anyway, if you change the belt on schedule you won't have to worry about whether it is an interference engine or not. I'd also change the camshaft seals, water pump, and timing belt tensioner while I was in there.
150,000 km this gets better. I am using Haynes repair manual available in Canada and North America this recommends 100,000 km but I like your manual better.

I know the belt change interval was prolonged for the 2 litre zetec a couple of years ago, as well as the service intervals that then became 20.000 km. I got a new service book with the new intervals, unfortunately the car is not at home just now, but I will check more exactly later and come back. /per

Just to let everyone know that there is no clearance on focus zetec engines the dealers are wrong

Graeme Taylor wrote:

We are talking about the 2.0l Zetec-E as supplied in the USA and Canada.
From what I have been reading here, the 2.0l is different from the 1.4l, 1.6l, and 1.8l Zetec engines (which are not available in the USA/Canada).
So, I think I will take the word of four franchised Ford dealers, thanks.

The 2.0l Zetec E in the US is the same as the 2.0l Zetec E in Europe. Its only the 2.0l SOHC which is different and I believe only sold in North America.
All Zetec E engines (1.8 & 2.0) as well as the Zetec SE engines (1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7) are interference engines.
--
Paul Giverin

I have been reading the Focus discussion boards at
http:/www.focusfanatics.com http://www.myfordfocus.com http://www.focaljet.com /
According to these folks, some of whom have had timing belts break on their Focus 2.0l Zetec-E[1] engines without any damage, they all say it is not an interference engine.
I also have the Ford workshop manual on CDROM as well as the the printed manuals from Ford, that say during timing belt installation you are to turn the camshafts with the engine locked at TDC.
A fellow on this newsgroup (perhaps it was this very thread) called four different Ford dealerships who all told him that the Focus 2.0l Zetec-E[1] was a non-interference design.
The Gates online timing belt application guide at: http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TimingBeltReplacePages.pdf&folder=brochure says the Focus 2.0l Zetec-E[1] is a non-interference design.
I have provided the sources I have used to back up my assertion, would you please provide yours?
Regards, Mark
[1] All references to the Focus 2.0l Zetec-E engine in this post are to the version sold in the USA and Canada. I have no knowledge of any other variants of the Zetec engine or whether the 2.0l Zetec-E used in the Focus versions sold outside the USA and Canada are the same or different.
writes

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TimingBeltReplacePages.pdf&folder=brochure
To add another twist to the story, as far as I know cams which are available for the 2.0 Zetec motor in North America are not compatible with the European 2.0 Zetec.
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow! ---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TimingBeltReplacePag es.pdf&folder=brochure
Mark, to settle this once and for all, could you please let us know the compression ratio of the US Zetec-E engine and also its specific quoted power output?
I have a feeling the US versions run a lower compression due to your lower octane fuel which would give more piston / valve clearance.
The Gates UK edition of "timing belts" indicates all Zetec -E engines to be of an interference design.
Tim..

According to the Focus owner's manual (online PDF for the 2000 model year, from the http://myford.fordvehicles.com website) and from this site: http://www.new-cars.com/2002/ford/ford-focus-specifications.html
the compression ratio of the USA-spec Focus 2.0l Zetec-E is 9.6:1, and the quoted power output is 130 hp at 5300 rpm, max torque is 130 lb-ft at 4500 rpm.
Regards, Mark