Focus Timing belt change

Page 2 of 2

Tim might be on to something then as the 2.0 Zetec in Europe is quoted as having a compression ratio of 10:1 although the power output is also 130 hp which is odd.
--
Paul Giverin

:>>> The Gates UK edition of "timing belts" indicates all Zetec -E engines to be :>>> of an interference design. :>> :>>According to the Focus owner's manual (online PDF for the 2000 model :>>year, from the http://myford.fordvehicles.com website) and from this site: :>>http://www.new-cars.com/2002/ford/ford-focus-specifications.html :>> :>>the compression ratio of the USA-spec Focus 2.0l Zetec-E is 9.6:1, and :>>the quoted power output is 130 hp at 5300 rpm, max torque is 130 lb-ft :>>at 4500 rpm. :>> :>>Regards, :>>Mark :> :>Tim might be on to something then as the 2.0 Zetec in Europe is quoted :>as having a compression ratio of 10:1 although the power output is also :>130 hp which is odd.
And to add further confustion to the mix the US SVT 2.0 Zetec is rated at 170HP @ 7,000 rpm and max torque of 145 lb.-ft. @ 5,500 rpm. This is with a 10.2:1 compression ratio which requires a minimum of 91 octane fuel. I would assume the numbers are similar on the European ST170 engine.
BTW, where I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area 91 octane fuel is the maximum I have seen in many, many years. And half the year it's "watered down" with ether and the other half with ethanol to supposedly cut down on emissions. My SVT definitely gets "babied" when it's 115 degrees and the a/c is chugging away on high. :-)
me/2

An even better way of proving it would be to go out, slip off the belt and crank the engine for 10-secs. Whip off the head and observe the valves and post a picture.
I'm sure we can derive from that what engines are interference and which aren't...and provide me with a jolly good laugh :-)
Ta,
G.
G-man wrote:

As I have already said, this particular experiment has been done multiple times, albeit not deliberately. Peruse the various Focus enthusiast discussion boards for reports from 2.0l Zetec-E owners (USA spec) who have had belts break without a valve/piston interface occurring.
Who said the interval is 10,000km? I thought it was 10,000 miles.