Ford Focus 2000 LE US Problems and Solutions Used and Wanted

I purchased a 2000 Ford Focus LE Sedan used in May, 2001. I use it as a daily commute and familiy car.

Here is the issues I have had, and what I have done to get around some of them, and those that I still have.

  1. Won?t start/key won?t turn - called my grandfather-in-law who is a locksmith, he looked at it determined some of the tumblers were bent, whacked key in ignition with hammer, like driving the key into the ignition like a nail. Fixed. Has re-occurred three times since in two years, slapping with flat of hand to hit key inward while in ignition has resolved it.

  1. Stuttering / Stalling while idle and loss of power - turned out to be a hose, coming out from the engine towards the passenger compartment, the looping down to the air filter had a hole burned in it. Replaced twice. There is a whistling noise from the engine when this is happening. part. This after the dealer replaced the coil and spark plugs twice to no avail for this problem.

  2. Brake Lights only the third or upper light works. Still haven?t tracked this down. Suggestions welcome. Same bulb is the flasher for turning, and works for turning, removing bulb turning 180 degrees and re-inserting, the other filament is used for turn signal, and works. So not bulbs.

  1. Heater/AC fan. Fan stopped working on 1 and 2, but on 3 and 4, then only on 3 intermittantly, and eventually gave up completely. This is the other unresolved. Have seen other posts about heater and will be taking stereo out once I obtain code and instructions from dealer. Further suggestions also welcome on this.

  2. Windshield cracking - its happened twice, no accident or rocks hitting before it happened.

Any and all suggestions welcome for the other issues.

Reply to
Dorzak

"Dorzak" wrote

This is a known defect in early Focus, requires a replacement lock (about $200) from a dealer or locksmith, because it has to be set to match your key. Replacements normally seem to work OK. Certainly mine has been.

Your resistance block is failing and needs to be replaced. Is a common problem on many vehicles.

Reply to
Dave Gower

In message , Dave Gower wrote

The fastest speed setting bypasses the resistor/thermal fuse assembly so if the fastest speed isn't working it's a fuse in one of the fuse boxes or possibly the switch itself has mechanically failed.

Reply to
Alan

I have a 2000 Ford Focus and having the same problem to # 1. last year in August and had the dealership fix it...thank god for warranties, well now my warranty has run out and thinking about trading it in, since I have had many other problems with the car. Well today it so happened that my key would not turn while I was at the car wash ready to leave. Thank god for my brother! We hauled it off back home and there it sat there all day while I was doing other things. Finally I got on here to see if anyone was having the same problem with their key's not turning...and in all I just want to say thank god for the hand slapping, it work for me lol!!! And I have the same problem on #5. My only solution is to get rid of the car!

Amanda Leal