ford focus brake discs

Last year i was told my discs would need changing after its MOT. Next MOT is coming soon. The car has done 80,000mls, so i guess they do need replacing. Is it best to change all four (front/rear) and the pads as well?. The pads don't look that bad and have faired better than the discs, but assume as i am going to do the job myself might as well fit them at the same time Any recommendations for the best discs and pads to use? i think that vented discs are a waste of time as this being a diesel i usually take the foot of the accelerator in time before applying the brakes, and i am not a boy racer (its an estate car).

cheers for any help on this issue

Reply to
lojiuk

Either reasonable quality discs from your local partco / motor shop, or OEM Ford ones.

Rears usually corrode rather than wearing away, from lack of use, so if they look dodgy, replace them too. Dont forget new pads where-ever new discs are fitted, and ensure the sliders as nice and slippy.

80k from front discs must be a record on any car! 50k or less is the normal nowadays.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's when I had mine replaced, at 80,000 miles. I drive 90% highway though.

Reply to
EOO

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

much the same as you mainly motorway miles, have now replaced the discs and pads with unipart (partco) parts and was amazed as to how easy it was........spent more time trying to get the wheel off.

Reply to
lojiuk

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

104,500 miles on the front discs and rear drums so far on my '01 ZX3. Up until last summer, it was ~70% highway. Now it's 0%, as I live only three miles from work. Original tires went 81,000 miles, too.

Ron

Reply to
RonrutMR2

Good heavens! What a difference to motoring in the UK!

Front tyres on my Focus average 12,000 miles. I had one set where the fronts only lasted 10,000 miles.

Front discs were down to the wear limit at 50,000 miles; many people need to replace them sooner than that.

Oh, I should probably point out that I am not in the first flush of youth, and have taken early retirement so am never in a hurry!

I guess the difference is down to our roads, and the much higher traffic volumes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

118,900 on my front discs and rear drums before I had to have them replaced in January. And, I live in Michigan where the roads are TERRIBLE.

Rob

Reply to
Oz