Ford Focus Front Coil Advisory

I also received an advisory from Ford on potential corrosion problems with the front coil of my 2003 ZTW, indicating they would replace them at no cost if they fail. I am aware from friends who had front coils fail on Ford Taurus in the past that if travelling at high speed when this occurs, it could pose a serious safety hazard to the car occupants or other vehicles as you could lose control. As I live in an area which is salted extensively in winter, I called Ford Canada asking them to indicate why they weren't recalling the vehicles, or alternatively to give me indication in writing that coil failure would not present a safety hazard. They refused to do either. I find this disturbing. Has anyone experienced a coil failure with their Focus, and if so, would you assess it as a potential safety hazard? Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Brian McCarthy

In alt.autos.ford.focus Brian McCarthy :

Might happen.

No, replaced all coil/shock-absorber some times ago, got sick from the original (Ghia), which were a impertinence while driving with high speeds (110-130 mph) around corners, especially with bad road conditions on highways.

A Sachs performance kit, made for the Focus, lowered it 35 mm and gives you in combination with the new gas shock-absorber kind of racing car road-holding.;) Sure you lose a little comfort, but the security win out-weights that easily.

[..]
Reply to
Michael Heiming

"Brian McCarthy" wrote

to indicate why they weren't recalling the vehicles, or alternatively

That's strange because I got a letter warning me of this possibility and announcing a warrantee extension for my 2000 SE wagon. In my case I don't expect to need it because I have my car oil-sprayed every year.

Reply to
Dave Gower

In alt.autos.ford.focus Dave Gower :

Hi Dave!

Is this really oil? Or some kind of excavation sealing, being imaginable, but *oil*? You'd probably easily get a penalty of about 50.000 EUR or more over here (Germany), for doing so.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Yes, please do tell what you mean by "oil-sprayed" and how that makes the potential coil failure any less impending or dangerous.

Reply to
marc cooper

I assume this is something like Ziebart, which IIRC resembles candle wax.

Reply to
Damon Scott Hynes

Michael

In the Uk we had a product called Waxoyl for many years this was a sort of semi solid waxy substance which was sprayed onto the bottom of the vehicle (and into box cavities) to help protect the car from corrosion. This seems to have become less popular in recent years as the manufactures have put greater efforts in rust resistance.

Maybe this is what David is talking about.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Lee

Yup. We call it "oil spray" but it's actually a special coating good for one year (and completely legal). Prevents corrosion due to road salt. As I understand it, corrosion is the cause of these coil failures.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have always used Finnegans Waxoyl on previous UK cars (and other = things). Was a bit shocked last spring when I looked under my 2000V 1.8 = zetec (which I love and is fantastic) and saw that there was a lot of = surface rust on the underneath bits, mainly suspension bits/springs/and = other "moving" bits in steering and exhaust mountings etc. Decided to do = it with Waxoyl and then remembered that I had given it to my son when he = took my 89 BMW E30 over, thinking that I would not need anything like = that with this "modern" car!!!!!! Looked all over for Finnegans Waxoyl, couldn't find it anywhere then I = went to Halfords and BINGO!! There it was, a lot more expensive than = before and actually not now Finnegans but Hammerite. Pleased as punch I = bought some and did the whole of the underneath and a few bits in the = engine compartment - it is excellent and providing you take care not to = come in contact with the disk surfaces, it is as good as it always was = (seems a bit thinner in consistency??) and I shall probably re-do it = again next spring. I can certainly agree with the recommendation - it is = also good for any metal (did the moving bits on my garage door) and also = for wood (if anyone has a Morgan?????). Justin Case

Reply to
Justin Case

In alt.autos.ford.focus Andy Lee : [..]

Hi Andy!

Sounds like from Dave's reply. It's called "Hohlraumversiegelung" over here "excavation sealing" looked like the closest translation available.

Looks like we all meant the same thing.;)

Reply to
Michael Heiming