Ford Focus fuel pump

What symptoms would I have if the fuel pump was failing on a Ford focus?

Like what year etc. is your Focus? When mine was failing I would be driving 60 mph and the car would cut out and die - on the highway...I'd have to wait until the car cooled down then it was fine again for a while...it can differ. More info = more help. Linda

Quite often the car won't start.

Usually the pump either works or it does not. There is no inbetween. A failed pump will give you no fuel pressure and thus the engine won't run.
Banging the bottom of the tank sometimes will get it to go again breifly, but they very quickly fail altogether soon after.
Tim..

I'm not so sure of that. I think mine is getting weak. I can now starve the car for fuel on hard right turns, something I couldn't do when it was new. The fuel filter was recently changed, to no avail.
When my fuel pump went out on my 2000 Ford Fucus, the gas hand would get at a half tank and just shut off. After filling it back up it was fine until I got to a half tank again. Ha!