ford focus unexpected acceleration

Hello,
I had a frightening experiance tonight. My 2000 Wagon (US) would not stop. When I lifted my foot off the accelerator the car just kept on going at
the same speed. When I slowed it down using my breaks, the engine started accelerating higher and higher. I had to shift it into neutral because my breaks (which I had done yesterday) could not hold me back and the revs kepr getting higher and higher.
Anybody else had or heard of the same problem? Can't trust it to drive now thank god for my motorbike (Honda) had it 20 years and no problems <smile>
Would appreciate you assistance.
Mogs
malcolmm wrote:

Your BRAKES should be looked at by a competent mechanic. If you were standing on the BRAKE pedal and the car accelerated, there is something very wrong with the BRAKE system.
As far as the unintended acceleration is concerned, I'd be looking very closely at the cruise control and throttle cables and the throttle body to make sure nothing's broken or damaged, which could certainly cause the throttle to stick open.
Have you or anyone else done any work under the hood recently?

Any properly operating braking system will easily overpower the motor of most cars. You should be able to drive with a wide open throttle, even keep one foot on the gas pedal and still bring your car to a stop with the brakes without a considerable increase in braking distance.
As he said, your brakes are suspect if you couldn't slow it down.
This all sounds familiar to me. I seem to recall reading this very same post before. A bit of Trolling perhaps?
Rob
"malcolmm" wrote ...

Don't know about this particular thread, but in general these periodic unintended acceleration posts that pop up on various newsgroups from time to time do seem to be a Trolling activity - a very special kind of Trolling. Trolling for big bucks, as in class-action lawsuits. Didn't work in the 80s with the Audi Victims Network fraud, won't work now either.
It is possible that this "malcolmm" guy is sincere, in which case he was probably pressing the accelerator rather than the brakes by mistake. The less likely situation is that he does have both a throttle problem and almost useless brakes, but that's a pretty unusual combination.

OK, but reread your first post, and especially the subject title. It looked like you were saying that the car sped up in spite of you applying the brakes. Now that you have clarified it, this is a simple case of a stuck throttle, which is something very different from "unexpected acceleration", to quote you precisely.
Many people are unaware of the long and nasty history behind the issue of "unintended acceleration" or the fact that there are nutball anti-corporate activists and sleazy contingency lawyers constantly looking to fabricate a case. That's why precision is important in discussing any such cases.

Yes. Brief engine racing, but it's only happened to me with the clutch in and no load on the engine.