Ford Focus zx3 has not been run for almost three years!

Mother-in-law is giving me Ford Focus Zx3, year: 2000.
Has been garaged for almost three years, less than 500 miles on it.
It has not been driven.
What precautions should I observe before adding gas and starting car for the
first time?
Walt Los Angeles, California USA

the
Drain sump oil and refill with fresh of correct grade and a new filter- filled with as much oil as you can without it running down your arm etc...
Plugs out, tablespoon of fresh oil into cylinders, disconnect coil pack and pull fuel pump fuse, then with a fresh fully charged battery spin the engine over on the starter until oil pressure warning lamp extinguishes.
Install plugs, fuse and coil pack multiplug, allow engine to start and remain at idle for 2-3 minutes.
Clutch may be stuck to flywheel, brakes may also be seized, so be ready for this if its been stored with handbrake applied. If clutch is stuck, allow engine to get nicely hot, push car to open ground and start in 1st gear. Acouple of fierce on-off-on of power with the pedal depressed will usually free it.
Beware the tyres may have flat spotted / decayed so check very carefully before you do any high speed driving.
Tim..

First make sure the engine will turn before engaging starter. You don't say if it's an automatic or manual. If the latter, try leaving it in 5th gear and loosen the nuts on one front wheel, then jack it up, remove wheel then replace nuts and try turning wheel by prying on the studs against the nuts (not the threads).
If it's an automatic, the only way to turn the engine is by torquing the crankshaft. I don't have a Zetec so can't tell you what the best way is to do that.
I agree with Tim that squirting oil down the spark plug holes is a good idea regardless of whether the engine turns, but if it doesn't you will want penetrating oil rather than engine oil. But it can be seized for reasons other than the cylinders (for example water pump).
I suspect it won't be too hard to start once it turns over. A tank of gas with cleaner in it should clean it out, but then you want to check for leaks after driving for a while. And as Tim said, be suspicious of the brakes. Probably not a bad idea to have them examined.
Once it's running, go talk to your dealer about the recalls pending on it. They're not a big deal, but should be done. Good luck and enjoy your brand new 2000 Focus.

Seems like a lot of work to see if the engine is seized or not. Just bump the starter. If it doesn't turn over, it doesn't really matter if you burn out the starter in the process...
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------- For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best! ---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----

You can easily break a tooth on the flywheel, or force the engine to turn when one piston ring is binding and damage a piston or cylinder wall. If the engine is seized there are lots of things you can do. One is disconnect all belts to see if an accessory is binding. Two is soak the cylinders in penetrating oil. For someone to follow your advice could be unnecessarily expensive.

Just to add to the other good advice, petrol (why do you lot call it gas? ;) can deteriorate after a while. Get as much fresh gas into the tank before running the engine.
--
Paul Giverin

writes

Paul we call it "gas" because it is the quick way to say gasoline http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline1.htm While we are on the subject, why would you call a car hood a bonnet? or trunk a boot?
vjcandline@shaw.... says...

Oh lord.........
Please don't go there guys!
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies

Or chips and knickers as well!;-)
Mojo
says...

I did put a smiley on my original post.
Mind you, don't get me started on the Dutch ;)
--
Paul Giverin

Hehehe.... ;-)
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies

They are very, very nice people...... until you find yourself working for them ;)
--
Paul Giverin

Hood/Bonnet, both words used to describe a piece of clothing worn to cover your head. Now think about the function of the bonnet or hood on your car....
Trunk is obvious in the early days of motor vehicles the trunk was not integrated into the main body work it was just that a trunk strapped onto the back end of the car. Boot ISTR is a term used in connection with the forerunner to cars, the horse and coach and was just transferred to the new vehicle.
Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

All good advises, but the first thing to do is to check tyre pressure. /per

the