Found Solution to:Bought new key, but programming wouldnt take

Ford Focus Wagon 2001
Bought new key from dealer for $50.... Tried about 30 times to program the chip in it as per owners manual,
but it would not take. The Dealer wanted $50 more to hook up to a computer
etc.
Finally I tried to put the ignition into programming mode via using the instructions to reprogram the remote entry. (turn ignition on and off 4 times until you hear a Bong.
Then I again tried reprogramming the key, and Voila! , it worked the first time.
Hope this helps someone else.
Ray

A quick thanks!! One of the things that irks me about newer cars is the price of a key. We bought our 2000 Focus with only one key. I had a couple of spares made just in case we locked ourselves out - they open the doors at least, but am stubborn about spending $100plus @ the dealer. I'll try your solution...now my wife tells me the local Ford dealer wants $100 just for the key itself (Atlanta area)....anyhow...THANKS!! :+) Paul 2000 Focus LX 1972 VW Superbeetle
In alt.autos.ford.focus, on the "Re: Found Solution to:Bought new key, but programming wouldnt take" thread, pmbedard wrote:

That's odd. I got two keys (plus two key fobs with the remote door openers) with my 2001 Focus. I always thought this was standard practice when you bought a new car -- you get one key, plus a spare.

Yeah, that's what the dealer (in Florida) told me -- $100 for the key, and $50 for the remote-control fob. "Be sure you don't lose them," he said, in case the replacement price wasn't enough of an incentive.
--
Benjamin Robinson snipped-for-privacy@freenet.tlh.fl.us
This message may or may not contain sarcastic content; your burden to decide