Front heated windscreen wiring

After getting my old window replaced I now have a heated screen fitted however need to wire it up. Does anyone have wiring details or any idea of where the connections are on the windscreen?

Reply to
WTB

With the greatest of respect, this is not a job for the faint-hearted!

The heated front screen draws more current than anything else on the car apart from the starter motor. I believe it is around 40A? When you switch it on, the lights dim, the blower fan slows and you can hear the alternator whine in protest!

For that reason the screen elements are in two separate circuits. They are wired so they can only come on when an "engine running" signal is sent by the ECU. At the same time, the idle value in the ECU is increased to keep the alternator output high. The software is possibly present in all cars whether fitted with a HFS or not, but you would need to confirm this before you start. I don't think any of the wiring or relays are fitted either.

Others have asked this question here in the past and the general opinion has been that it is simply too much trouble to retrofit.

If you decide to go ahead I would urge you to get it done professionally unless you feel you have the skills needed. Let us know how you get on.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, its more like 70amps, 35 per side. The wiring exits down the windscreen pillars into the scuttle area both sides.

No, they are not fitted, nor is the wiring, which forms part of the heated mirrors.

Yes *very* good luck!!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..