Fuel economy 2003 ZTW 2.0ztec automatic CDN - 13 litres/100kms (60% HW - 40% city)

Dealer raved about fuel economy. Easily 500-600 kms per tank I get 340-360
Dealer can't find anything wrong with the car Dealer now says 300kms/tank is NORMAL and 350km/tank is EXCELLENT
I think this is BS and there's something wrong with the car.
I would like to know what kind of fuel economy others are getting
thanks

With 60% highway you should be burning not much more than 8 l/100km. If you fill up at 40 litres that's 500km. If you are burning 13 then either something's wrong with the car or the 40% urban driving must involve a lot of stop-start and idling. Either that or someone's siphoning your gas.
Our 2001 wagon gets 500 km per tank in the summer on summer tires and about 400 per tank in winter on winter tires. But it is 5 speed. I can't imagine it makes that much difference.Murray

Miles/500 klicks per tank. I try to refill at 1/4 full and I usually have around 240 - 260 miles by then. 60% city 40% HW -- Dan 03 ZX5 22K miles 2.0 Litre Zetec VA - USA "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana

LOL, there's for sure something wrong with your dealer.
My 2.0l manual does 8.2-9.5 l/100 km, mostly highway with some parts with no speed limit at all. For sure I could get the full consumption more down if I'd abandon on driving near Vmax on those parts. But then I could have bought the 1.4l engine...
IMHO you'd perhaps only get 13 l/100km fuel consumption while driving with Vmax all the time. It should be possible to drive with perhaps 7.5 l/100km with just creeping (max. 120 km/h). But then I hadn't the patience until now to try out.;)
--
Michael Heiming

I follow the flow of traffic. I never exceed 110km/h considering the speed limit on Montreal Expressways and Highways is a measly 70 km/h. On the big autoroutes the speed limit is 100km/h. I do around 110 or whatever the traffic is doing. No crazy kickdowns just an occasional drop out of overdrive to pass someone. At 100km/h car is doing 2500rpm. Is this ok?
Anyways, I'm going to try another dealer. Maybe they'll find something wrong. If not I'm going to sell the car.
I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks

Can't tell for sure, but it sounds good.

Sounds like a good idea, there's for sure something wrong, even if not the most economic 2.0l engine, it doesn't use this much fuel while driving this slow.
--
Michael Heiming

If I were to let my tank go empty... I know I would get over 300 "Miles" / 500 klicks per tank. I try to refill at 1/4 full and I usually have around 240 - 260 miles by then. At each refill I am averaging 26 miles to the Gallon or 11 klicks to the Litre.
60% city 40% HW -- Dan 03 ZX5 22K miles 2.0 Litre Zetec VA - USA "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana

Not to confuse the issue but are you using 5W-20 semi-synthetic. I'm told that this will improve fuel economy,
Ron
Hola
Have a recent 03- ZX5................. getting between 33 and 35 MPG (imperial gallons).......... I live in Canada and its cold.......... 99% highway miles @ 110 Kilometres/hr HTH
Fud

That's way too high. I rented a 2.0 automatic Focus this summer when visiting Montreal and Ottawa. I thrashed it everywhere I went and still averaged about 8.0l/100km in mixed driving.
Stephen
Mine does between 8 (highway) and 11 (60% city, 40% HW ) l/100kms, driving pretty fast, but it is the manual version.
--
Carlos Focus [MLPEC #2]
HP ipaq 2210 + Haicom HI303 CF

I have a 2002 ZTW wagon with automatic and 2.0 Ztec engine. After a short break-in period I have been keeping very close track of my mileage in an Excel spreadsheet. Every fillup has been accounted for and my overall average, summer/winter, 40 percent city driving,(Chicago, Illinois) 60 percent local interstate (high speed, limited access) from July 10, 2002 when the car had 2179 miles on it, through December 22 of this year, with 25994 miles on it, (the overall average) is: 27.5 miles per gallon, or 11.71 km per liter. This breaks down to 8.54 liters for 100 km. About what Carlos reported.
Incidentally, other than my wife hitting a garbage can and knocking a side view mirror off,(easily fixed) we have had no problems at all. None. Zip. Brake pads are fine. None of the other problems reported in the earlier models of the Focus. We are satisfied. As of now.
Or as the Ancient Greeks used to say, "Count no man happy until he's dead." You only really know how good a car is after you've driven it into the ground after years with no problems.