Fuel economy

I've just bought my first Focus, I'm very happy with it apart from the fuel consumption. It's a 1.6 Zetec Climate, I don't drive it hard but I only get 28mpg around town. For a modern engine this is rubbish - my son
has a 1.6 Peogeot diesel 206, he gets 45 mpg on the same sort of run. I obviously expected some difference, but not this much!
Is 28 mpg around town/45mpg motorway normal for this car?
Neil.
Springy wrote:

How can you compare a medium-sized petrol car with a smaller diesel?
If the town use involves lots of stops and starts, with significant idling, then 28mpg is about right. Depending on exact specification, the maker's figures for "Urban environment" are in the range 29.1 to 31mpg.
I don't think I have ever got 45mpg out of my Focus, (although admittedly with the 1.8 petrol Zetec), on *any* sort of run. I do drive fairly enthusiastically however.
Perhaps you should have considered whether a diesel Focus would have suited you better?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

France during one of their fuel tanker strikes and I had to cover the 200 miles to the ferry port on 1/4 of a tank. I drove like a nun, coasted when I could and never touched the brakes.

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk

If some of us are talking U.S. gallons and others Imperial gallons, that's a 20.0% difference in mpg.
I get around 27 mpg (US) in mild and warm weather and 23 mpg in subfreezing weather with a 2.3L PEZ in city-suburban driving.
-- Don
Don McC wrote:

Hey -- someone else with a 2.3 Duratec. Not something I'm used to seeing in here. :) My mileage is lower than yours, although I got *considerably* more one time when I did a 200-mile all-freeway run with mileage as my TOP priority, even down to closed windows for drag reduction on a fairly warm day.
--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

My 1.6 petrol Focus is around 30 miles per gallon on my 14 mile urban run to work. I get around 40 miles per gallon on a long run with minimal stopping - but usually at speeds of 60 - 70 mph.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

/Jorgen

Which is approx. 41.5 miles per UK gallon.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

My 2 litre Zetec Mundano gets around 25 around town and mid-late thirties on longer runs. Your's doesn't sound so bad.
No point comparing with a diesel - My 2.5 litre turbo derv wagon does better than the ford and weighs nearly twice as much 8-/
Al.
Springy wrote:

Thanks for all the responses guys and gals, looks as though my focus is normal then. Not wanting to look a complete idiot, I wasn't comparing my focus with a small diesel, of course I know that there will be some difference but I didn't expect the diesel to consume *half* as much fuel as my car - I thought modern engines were supposed to be efficient!
Depending on the trade-in I may change to a diesel sooner rather than later.
Neil.
Springy wrote:

28 isn't even near to half of 45...
The Focus and the 206 are not in the same market sector. You need to compare eggs with eggs.

Modern engines *are* more efficient than older ones.
Fuel consumption is not so good due to all the emission control systems fitted, and the added weight of safety systems, and extras like air-con and power steering.
Even if you go back one generation and compare the weight of an Escort with that of a Focus, there is a significant difference. Compare the Focus with something from the '60s like a Ford Anglia and the difference is suprising.
Increased weight will have more effect on consumption in the urban cycle than the constant speed figures.

Bear in mind that some operating costs can be higher for diesels, and not everyone likes the driving characteristics of them - me for one!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.