Fuel Economy Focus 1.6 Automatic 3-Door UK

Page 1 of 2
I'm just coming to the end of my second year with this car. My overall petrol consumption works out to 28.6 m.p.g. (UK). That's over 13,787 miles. If my mathematics are correct this converts to 9.9 litres per 100
kilometres. Not very good, but the best I can hope for around these narrow Cornish lanes, or so I'm told.
--
MCC
A guid New Year tae ane and a'

Ouch! I get 40mpg driving briskly and up to 50mpg taking it easy.
--
Paul Giverin
writes

my car is '01 wagon 1.6 liter with auto tranny. Just filled it up an hour ago. took 48.3 liters and covered 504 100% city kms. if my math is correct that is 9.6 liters/km or 25.1 mpg (USA). the temperature around here 5C at the most.
in the summer when I take long trips, its fuel economy is much better.. usually around 7.5 liters/km or 32 mpg with the ac on.
overall, I am not very impressed. 3 years ago I had a '88 chevy with 2.5 liter engine and 3 spd auto tranny that weighed 1500+ kg. I frequently got 33 mpg (highway) on that car. so, go figure!
ahmet
turkey

AFAIR the "magic" number is 285:
285 / (l/100km) = Miles per gallon
285/9.6).68 mpg
But I could be wrong, there are different types of gallons, and this is one of the problems. In reality those units have no meaning at all, they are no SI units, it's only people who keep using them. AFAIR sadly NASA lost one Mars mission just because of stupid failures while calculating with units.

The best I got out of my 2.0l (manual) was about 8.2 l/100km.
285/8.24.75 mpg
Not really impressive, thinking about my last Ford Sierra TD, with an average of 6.5 l/100km (285/6.5C.84 mpg) and an all time min. of 4.9 l/100km (285/4.9X.16 mpg).
But then a diesel engine is hardly comparable with a petrol one and in the end it doesn't really matter if you don't drive very much a year. Insurance + tax are much higher over here for a diesel then the equivalent petrol car.
--
Michael Heiming

dragon wrote:

504 / 48.3 / 1.609 * 3.785 24.54670737968492447372

(I assume you mean 7.5 liters/100km)
100 / 7.5 / 1.609 * 3.785 31.36523720737518127198

My 2000 Wagon with 2.0 Zetec and auto transmission gets roughly the same mileage as your 1.6. I also owned a '86 Buick Century with the 2.5l and and got nearly the same mileage, though the Focus has more power and is more fun to drive.
writes

over
Jesus- thats dreadful!
As Paul says the manual 1.6 will do mid 30's driven hard and intown and high 40's on a long gentle cruise. In my own personnal experience, the 1.8 will do 3-4mpg less under the same circumstances.
Tim..
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:57:05 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and lost alot of stuff :\("

Well all I can say is Derv :-) As much fun as the 2.0l petrol and 500 miles to the tank every time with a good mix of motorway and town driving and its a smaller tank than the petrol models approx 52 liters I reckon I getting 49mpg most of the time.
--
Hmm must get round to finding a decent sig

I got a 1.6 2003 manual at the mo and it averages 330 miles per tank (combined) and about 400 miles on a good run but thats still 'giving it' quite alot on the motorway.
MC.
------------
wrote:

high
will

I'm not much better at just over 30mpg (1.6 manual) with a 14 mile journey to or from work often taking around an hour. However my miles per gallon went up to 40 when I visited Cornwall for a week - mainly empty roads during the day in late October. :)
--
Alan
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:35:47 +0000, Alan wrote:

I got 35-40 m.p.g. when I drove home to Scotland in 2002 but local driving round here, when I hardly ever get into overdrive, just runs away with the petrol. The car is leased to me by Motability and will be due for replacement in 12 months time - come next autumn I reckon I'll be looking for something a bit more economical as a replacement. I just don't believe Ford's fuel consumption figures!
--
MCC
A guid New Year tae ane and a'

You'll get better mpg by locking out the overdrive unless your on the open road doing reasonable speed.
Tim..

Noted
--
MCC
A guid New Year tae ane and a'

That said the 1.6 auto is a dreadful combination!!
Tim..

What would you recommend please, Tim? The car is leased to me by Motability as I am disabled. I need automatic transmission because it makes life so much easier for me and it's all that my wife is qualified to drive. I also like the big wide doors on the 3-door - makes getting in and out if you are a big wide person easier :-)
--
MCC
A guid New Year tae ane and a'

Motability
are
Erm, how about a 3 door Yaris CVT or something like that. I believe you can have it in diesel auto too.
Tim..

Sadly auto/CVT isn't available with the diesel engine. I've heard excellent reports about the petrol version though. Thanks for the advice. Another 9 months before I can order my new car so I'll have plenty of time to get some test drives in before then.
--
MCC
A guid New Year tae ane and a'

The new Focus C-Max with the 1.6 TDCi diesel engine and the CVT gearbox would also be worth a look at. A continuously variable transmission should work much better with a diesel - you find yourself hitting the maximum revs just as you complete an overtaking maneuver. The CVT version is less economical than the manual, but it still gets ~ 50mpg.
--
Andrew Henry
snipped-for-privacy@cyberspace.org

Thanks Andrew. Will bear that one in mind when the time comes to replace.
--
MCC
5-Jan-04 10:19:55 GMT

Its a mazda sourced box.
For your sort of driving, and if you're planning to keep the car for awhile I would suggest yearly transmission oil changes, but as you have noticed there is no drain plug.
The only way toget the oil out is to disconnect the cooler lines at the radiator and start the engine to pump it out- have an assistant slowly pouring in fresh fluid- you'll need about 8-10litres and keep going until the fluid being expelled is bright red like the new fluid going in.
Tim..