fuel efficiency

i just got a 2006 focus zx5 ses auto trans. and i figure i'm getting about 10L/100km. shouldn't i be getting better than that??? thanks Mike

TimBuckToo wrote:

Hi Mike,
City, suburban, highway? Your driving style? Makes a lot of difference. If that's stop-and-go city mileage running the air cond., probably not bad. I have a 2007 zx4 ses 5speed (US/2.0L) and have seen 28 to 34 mpg (6.9-8.4 L/100km). It depends entirely on how I drive it...YMMV. I could go easier and get better mileage, but this car has made driving fun again.
Larry
Larry wrote:

I also have an '07 ZX4 with a 5 speed, have topped out at 38 mpg (6.38L/100km) but usually hang around 34-36mpg (7.14-6.7)thats driving with cruise on at ~60 (96kmh) speed limit is 65 where I drive, getting over 65 usually whacks 2-3mpg, and turning on the AC will whack up to another 6 mpg.

You are correct about the driving style being a huge difference in the mileage you get. I was complaining about my ZX4 ses manual to my favorite mechanice and we went for a drive hooked up to a monitor.
First he drove it (let's just call it) "as recommended" (By authorities in most countries/municipalities). Then I told him to drive like he or I would drive it.
Results: If you drive by a text book 34MPG is indeed the average on highway. If however your driving has a little more gusto than the average driver's, expect drastically different results.
Larry, this car indeed fun with stick. My mileage is well below what I'd like but I've only myself to blame.
Shelle
thanks for tips, i'll try them out

Depends on where/how you drive. Try putting in +0,5 bar air to the Ford tire recommendations, this should improve things. I use a K&N replacement air filter in addition, which helps a bit.
I get 8.5-9.0l/100km mostly (2l manual) but it is easy to get more, especially on highways if you need to break and accelerate all time uses quite some fuel. Though you can go quite fast with astonishing low fuel usage if it's free enough and you can resist not to drive above about 200 km/h (~125 mph).
TimBuckToo pisze:

My average consumption is 10,9 l / 100km (city). Focus break 1,6 100hp '2007.
--
Regards - Andrzej Zbierzchowski