Fuel gauge sender

'99 1.8 LX
I filled up with petrol last night. This morning, after 10 miles, the fuel light is on and the gauge reads empty. On the assumption that the sender has failed and that I believe this is part of the
fuel pump assembly, anyone care to give me a price?
Just to make it doubly annoying, I'm probably looking at my local dealer doing it as I have a bad back at the moment.
Chris.
--

Remove prejudice to reply.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:58:06 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

Nah, somebody drained Your tank while You were asleep!

Kjell Harnesk wrote:

LOL!
Maybe...... but I have just driven it 30 miles with the light on!
Chris
--

Remove prejudice to reply

LOL...Unsure, but it's worth checking at the next petrol station if the tank is really empty...

this happens to me quite often. If I fill it up completely (I mean when the pump stops and I continue filling it) the gauge goes nuts. The light comes on, the gauge reads zero...after driving 100 kms or so, it finally goes back to normal. As you already know, it is the sender that is a part of the fuel pump assembly.. I got an estimate around $80 a year ago. However, If you are careful and don't overfill it, it probably wont happen again.
ahmet
'01 wagon 1.6 liter
Turkey
dragon wrote:

You were right, after a short drive this morning the gauge is working again!
When I use the dashboard test mode, I have always had a dtc of 9202 showing. I believe this code is "Fuel sender open circuit". My theory is that the sender is just a potentiometer, and often the wiper doesn't connect properly. When the fuel tank is less than full, the float is constantly changing position all the time the car is moving. These momentary open circuits are picked up and stored by the ECU but are of short enough duration to not affect the gauge.
When the tank is full to the brim, the float can't move so, if there is an open circuit situation, it remains until the level drops a bit. Any other wild guesses....?
Chris
--

Remove prejudice to reply

This is a well known problem on early model Focuses. My old '99 car had the same problem and appeared when the car was only three months old. I lived with it for a while until it didn't work for three days on the trot. The sender was replaced under warranty - an option you don't have. Looks like a trip to your local dealer unfortunately.
I've had this problem two or three times in the last 18 months on a 99 Focus. In the worst case it lasted about three days but has been no trouble since. I think that was just after it had been filled up too.

Same here. It always happened just after I filled up. It's also occurred just once on my current 2002 model.