fuel problems

over the winter i picked up the evap error and decided to do nothing about it until it got warmer.
now that it *has* gotten warmer I am also getting a "check fuel cap"
light.
my local car shop says they dont have the gear to hunt down the evap problem, will the fuel cap error help narrow it down?
you should bring it into the dealer, they should be able to fix it