Fuel pump

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE with 55,000 miles I bought brand new. Up until recently I had only taken it on a long trip once when it was new so it only gets driven around here for the store and such but I have
had quite a few problems with the darn car. Recently we decided to take it on a trip to Hershy Pa. from Buffalo NY. Got 6hrs. into the trip on the expressway and the fuel pump went, guess it couldnít handle the hills. We had no clue what was going on at the time but we managed to crawl off to the nearest exit and park and call the AAA. The two Ford dealers in the town I called said they were backed up if it was transmission and couldnít help us that day and we had hotel reservations we would loose if we didnít get there so the AAA guy suggested the Firestone in town and they said as long as it wasnít transmission they could help us. We towed it there and they found it to be the fuel pump and 4hrs. and $500 later we were on the road again. They guy said he has replaced a lot of shody fuel pumps in the Focus and this did not surprise me with all the problems I have had with this car. Ignition, wiper switch, something else with the wipers, recently air conditioning and now the fuel pump. I have been so unhappy but getting rid of it and getting something better is not an option right now so I have to hope for the best . When I got home I went to the dealer an complained and they are submitting my receipt and say I may get reimbursed so does this mean there is a known problem with the fuel pumps or what? I know one of the many recalls was the fuel filter and I remember having that done.
Also is there somewhere online I can look up all the recalls on this vehicle?
‚úĖ

[..]
http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/invalidvin.htm
Had not much problems with my Focus and still enjoy driving it.
OK there are few "bugs/features" built in by Ford, a little rust on the rear door (wagon) was fixed on warranty. Looks like it would come through again, I'll see if Ford is willing to fix it now probably (== new rear door) or repair again. 12 years warranty can be long.
On the other hand zero problems with reliability, like all other Fords owned by me. Won't get the new Focus, the design is terrible.
Anyway, from reading here it seems to matter where your Focus was manufactured and for whatever reason European made Focus generally of better quality. Perhaps because a car of the Focus size is in Europe the class of the most sold cars.
You don't see much SUV and alike, simply for the reason fuel is about 1.25 EUR/l --> 5.65 USD/gal, you'll have problems finding parking lots and more...
‚úĖ
The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that are "applicable" to your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show approximately recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed.
http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041
I hope this helps.
v/r Elizabeth
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"" wrote: > The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that are > "applicable" to > your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show > approximately > recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed. > > http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041 > > I hope this helps. > > v/r > Elizabeth
Thank you both that helps. I think I have done everything on the list but wanted to make sure. It was the fuel filters that were recalled but I wanted to make sure there wasít something about the fuel pump I may have missed to cause mine to die.
‚úĖ
The fuel filter was never recalled it was the fuel pump.
"" wrote: > The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that are > "applicable" to > your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show > approximately > recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed. > > http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041 > > I hope this helps. > > v/r > Elizabeth
Thank you both that helps. I think I have done everything on the list but wanted to make sure. It was the fuel filters that were recalled but I wanted to make sure there was't something about the fuel pump I may have missed to cause mine to die.
‚úĖ
"" wrote: > The fuel filter was never recalled it was the fuel pump.
> > > "" wrote: > > The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that are > > "applicable" to > > your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show > > approximately > > recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed. > > > > > http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041 > > > > I hope this helps. > > > > v/r > > Elizabeth > > Thank you both that helps. I think I have done everything on > the list > but wanted to make sure. It was the fuel filters that were > recalled > but I wanted to make sure there was't something about the fuel > pump I > may have missed to cause mine to die. > > -- > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at > author's request > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Focus-Fuel-pump-ftopict127833.html > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pb4554
I am confused because every thing I read about the recall says feul filter. Do you mean there was also a recall on the fuel pump? I guess I donít understand what this recall means and I thought it didnít apply to my problem. If this is the case then I am going to make sure to keep on them about reimbursing my money. It also says that they will do it free of charge if the owner reports that the vehicle exhibits any of the identified symptoms in a 10yr. period. If I got the recall for it and never had those symptoms which I didnít until the pump went then I wouldnít have had this done. Now in the last two days I have heard a rattling twice coming from the back I think so I bet something else is going to need fixing before we can even get the $500 fuel pump paid off. I went to the Ford site and typed my VIN number expecting to see all the recalls I have had done and it says no recalls for this car. Is that because I have had them all done?
Component: Fuel System, Gasoline Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE. Consequence Summary: THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. Corrective Summary: THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
acraftylady wrote:

This isn't a recall, it's an extended warranty.
I just had my fuel pump replaced under this program, with just over 100,000 miles on my 2001 Focus.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid7&did Ą7
All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT:
Extended Coverage Program 03N01 - Certain 2000 and 2001 Model Year Focus Vehicles Fuel Delivery Module
PROGRAM TERMS
This program extends the coverage of the fuel delivery module (FDM) to 10 years from the original warranty start date of the vehicle, with no limit on the number of miles that the vehicle has been driven. This program provides replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM
Certain 2000 and 2001 model year Focus vehicles built at the Wayne and Hermosillo Assembly Plants from Job #1,1999 through June 13, 2001. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. ----------
[snip]

No, it's because it's not a recall. It's an extended warranty.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
The problem is that with 2000-2001 models and some early 2002 Focus they have a dodgy fuel pump. If you read the service advisory it say "CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER '''IN''' THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM). The fuel delivery module is the fuel pump assembly. In the fuel delivery module assembly is the internal fuel filter, electric pump etc. There is a another fuel filter on the car "external" of the fuel module.That filter has nothing to do with the SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN . This is NOT A RECALL it is a SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN and is covered by Ford for 10 years from date of in service. If you have already paid to have this module replaced you can get a reimbursement from Ford.
> "" wrote: > > The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that are > > "applicable" to > > your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show > > approximately > > recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed. > > > > > http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041 > > > > I hope this helps. > > > > v/r > > Elizabeth > > Thank you both that helps. I think I have done everything on > the list > but wanted to make sure. It was the fuel filters that were > recalled > but I wanted to make sure there was't something about the fuel > pump I > may have missed to cause mine to die. > > -- > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at > author's request > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Focus-Fuel-pump-ftopict127833.html > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pb4554
I am confused because every thing I read about the recall says feul filter. Do you mean there was also a recall on the fuel pump? I guess I don't understand what this recall means and I thought it didn't apply to my problem. If this is the case then I am going to make sure to keep on them about reimbursing my money. It also says that they will do it free of charge if the owner reports that the vehicle exhibits any of the identified symptoms in a 10yr. period. If I got the recall for it and never had those symptoms which I didn't until the pump went then I wouldn't have had this done. Now in the last two days I have heard a rattling twice coming from the back I think so I bet something else is going to need fixing before we can even get the $500 fuel pump paid off. I went to the Ford site and typed my VIN number expecting to see all the recalls I have had done and it says no recalls for this car. Is that because I have had them all done?
[...]
"" wrote: > The problem is that with 2000-2001 models and some early 2002 > Focus they > have a dodgy fuel pump. > If you read the service advisory it say "CONTAMINATION OF THE > FILTER > '''IN''' THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM). The fuel delivery > module is the > fuel pump assembly. > In the fuel delivery module assembly is the internal fuel > filter, electric > pump etc. > There is a another fuel filter on the car "external" of the > fuel module.That > filter has nothing to do with the SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN > . > This is NOT A RECALL it is a SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN and > is covered by > Ford for 10 years from date of in service. If you have already > paid to have > this module replaced you can get a reimbursement from Ford. > >
> > > "" wrote: > > > The site you gave is one site that gives recalls that > are > > > "applicable" to > > > your vehicle via VIN. Here is another site that show > > > approximately > > > recalls regardless of VIN. Fuel System is one listed. > > > > > > > > > http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/recalls?CPCID "041-13-7264-0-1927-60-0-0&id"041 > > > > > > I hope this helps. > > > > > > v/r > > > Elizabeth > > > > Thank you both that helps. I think I have done everything > on > > the list > > but wanted to make sure. It was the fuel filters that were > > recalled > > but I wanted to make sure there was't something about the > fuel > > pump I > > may have missed to cause mine to die. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at > > author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Focus-Fuel-pump-ftopict127833.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pb4554 > > I am confused because every thing I read about the recall says > feul > filter. Do you mean there was also a recall on the fuel pump? > I > guess I don't understand what this recall means and I thought > it > didn't apply to my problem. If this is the case then I am > going to > make sure to keep on them about reimbursing my money. It also > says > that they will do it free of charge if the owner reports that > the > vehicle exhibits any of the identified symptoms in a 10yr. > period. If > I got the recall for it and never had those symptoms which I > didn't > until the pump went then I wouldn't have had this done. Now > in the > last two days I have heard a rattling twice coming from the > back I > think so I bet something else is going to need fixing before > we can > even get the $500 fuel pump paid off. I went to the Ford site > and > typed my VIN number expecting to see all the recalls I have > had done > and it says no recalls for this car. Is that because I have > had them > all done? > > > Component: Fuel System, Gasoline > > Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION > OF THE > FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND > EVENTUALLY > BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE. > > Consequence Summary: THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS > OF POWER, > SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY > BECOME > SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD > RESULT > IN A CRASH. > > Corrective Summary: THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY > IMPROVEMENT > CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL > OWNERS > WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE > FDM WITH > A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE > VEHICLE > EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT > WILL BE > AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL > PURCHASE OF > THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS > EXPECTED TO > BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT > 1-800-392-3673.
Thank you all I understand now about the part. If for some reason they donít reimburse the repair I will be armed with info and make a big complaint.
I donít supposed there is anything about the air conditioning I could get them to fix for free? In June it was running warm so I took it in and they said the hole is so small they canít detect it and they refilled it and I think I spent $100 some and that was less than a month ago and now itís not cold again. Actually itís kind of strange the left vent by the steering wheel and the left middle one seem to have warm air coming out and the right middle one and the passenger side one feel cool and I have never heard of that before. I havenít even got the charge bill yet with this on it and itís going to be in the 90ís the next few days and I will have to suffer driving around.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ