Fuel Pump fuse Keeps Blowing SE

15 amp fuel pump fuse keeps blowing in our 2000 Focus SE. Suspecting fuel pump? Need advice quick - thanks...

On 11 May 2005 16:27:22 -0500, doodle1800

Is it like instantly, everytime you turn on the car?
Or is it over time, like 1 week?
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
"The Real Tom" wrote: > On 11 May 2005 16:27:22 -0500, doodle1800
> > >15 amp fuel pump fuse keeps blowing in our 2000 Focus SE. > Suspecting > >fuel pump? Need advice quick - thanks... > > > Is it like instantly, everytime you turn on the car? > > Or is it over time, like 1 week? > > later, > > tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
It started by blowing a few months ago. Then it blew again maybe a week or 2 apart and then every 3 blocks or so. We fixed it by replacing the fuel filter. When I changed it black liquid came out of the filter - very dirty. Probably making the fuel pump work overtime. We then had the fuel pump sending unit replaced free by Ford - extended warranty on at that part - replaced once for free within 10 years of buying the car. So far so good - convinced it was the fuel filter.
On 12 May 2005 21:35:34 -0400, doodle1800

For the fuel filter to get dirty quickly, I would suspect you have tank issues. Maybe water in it, or you are putting bad gas in it. Do you get gas at the same place all the time? Another possiblity, but this I've only heard once, you evap system crapped out and some how, the activated carbon is migrating to the tank. I've only heard of it, never seen it, so I don't know what to look for.
IMHO: I would do one thing, frequently change out your fueld filter till it runs clean. Lets assume it's doing it's job in protecting the engine and some dirt accidently got in. Run a bottle or two of fuel cleaners to clean out varnishes and water. Also keep a supply of fuses since they are protectig the pump. Watch for changes, like a decline if junk being filtered.
Post your results here.
tom

5 years of not changing filter...
I agree - we keep fuses handy....