Gas Mileage Question

I recently sold my 1997 Dodge Intrepid. It had the 3.3L V-6, auto, about

105,000 miles and got about 20 mpg with mixed use. I bought a used 2004 Focus ZTS (auto), 17,000 miles and this car is getting about 20/21 mpg mixed use.

The Dodge was a bigger car with a V-6. Why is the MPG almost the same? Thanks.

Reply to
JHI

In alt.autos.ford.focus JHI :

What engine does your Focus have?

20 mpg == 11.8 l/100km

Sounds a bit much, but not impossible with automatic and mostly city/stop and go driving. With mixed driving a bit much.

Get (2l petrol manual) about 24-29 mpg (9.8-8.1 l/100km) with mixed driving, could probably do a bit better, but some highways without speed limit take some more fuel if you let the Focus run.

I'd double check/exchange the air filter and keep a close and

*regular* eye on tire air pressure, the most overlooked thing concerning fuel usage. If you don't mind losing a little comfort you can easily put 10-20% more air pressure then the manual announces into the tires. Helps better fuel usage tremendously.

Good luck

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Will have to do the conversion of km/L of L/100km to mpg yourself unfortunately

My '03 Focus ZTS 2.0L Automatic with 76k km has a running average of 11.11 km/L (9.0L/100 km) since purchased. Last tank was 11.62 km/L (8.6L/100km)

My '03 Focus ZTW 2.0L Automatic with 91k km has a running average of 11.97 km/K (8.4L/100km) since purchased. Last tank was 12.14 km/L (8.2L/100km)

Both vehicles have a mixed travel where about 60% is on "country" roads with a max speed of 80km/h and the rest city with a limit between 50-60km/h. Neither make use of the cruise control much. Both have same tires and are inflated to 255kpa (20kpa over the value indicated on the fuel hatch)

I can't explain the better economy on the wagon compared to the sedan. Surely aerodynamics can't count for the 8% difference.

Reply to
Timothy

according to a website I found it looks like (Km/L)/.425 = MpG

27.34 mpg

28.16 mpg

However my 2000 zx3 gets 28-30 winter, and 30-32 now spring/summer, and my wifes '03 Sable gets 29-30 with a 2.2? V6.

Reply to
me

In alt.autos.ford.focus Timothy :

Indeed this is a major annoyance, but we have to live with it.

Personally try to post always both units so anyone can easily follow. However, I do expect that people following up just do the same (hopefully).

Why not, if anything else is on par, the slightly better aerodynamics of the wagon could well be the reason for the small lower fuel consumption.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

While not as low mileage as you are getting, I noticed my 2005 Focus gets

22-24mpg mostly city driving while my wifes larger Honda Accord gets about the same. I think the focus is just doesn't get the economy it should.
Reply to
Gary Avrett

Reply to
sn00p

Lucky you. Millage really sucks big time. I have a 2004 2.3L PZEV ZX5 getting close to 30K miles now and get about 17 in town, less in the summer when I run the AC. I do get 33-34 on the ehighway though.

Jack

Reply to
Yea Right