Gearbox noise

Hello all Re Focus 1.6LX 15k miles Is it just me not used to this car yet, or can the gearboxes sometimes be a bit clonky. Seem to get a clonk when letting the clutch up during gear changes,
this does not happen if I accelerate as if pulling away during changes, or decelerate change gear then accelerate. If I let the clutch up gently during gear changes all is fine. Maybe just me?????
Thanks Dave
djkeates wrote:

are the wheel nuts tight ? mine does not clunk, I can't think what might clunk in a gear box. They are not particularly amazing gear boxes in general if you ask me... IANAM BTW !
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

The noise is like a metal knock just as the clutch bites during gear change Dave
djkeates wrote:

Think I am going to exchange this car under Dovercourts 30 day exchange plan I will keep you all posted Dave

It's been a while, dave, any luck?
David R wrote:

Dovercourt Ford were very helpfull, and they will exchange the car without question. Only problem is they dont have a suitable exchange car yet, I can wait.
Thanks
Dave
On 4 Sep 2006 14:15:57 -0700, "djkeates"

Dave,
Just came across your post. My yr 2000 Focus 1.8 manual has pretty much the same noise as what you've described. It only came about after I had the clutch kit changed - it certainly didn't have the clonking noise before that. Sound comes on during clutch let up during changes,noticeable only in 1st and 2nd, on progressive acceleration. There's no sound when you stand on the gas and work the stick.
I suspect that the mounting of something within the assy may not now be entirely kosher. There's a little bit of judder as you inch along, slipping the clutch slightly (as when adjusting during parking); might be that the renewal didn't align things properly.
The local Ford SC (here in Malaysia) say the sound's coming from a worn steering rack tie-end. Which is rubbish, because I had them changed before the new clutch kit went in.
Doesn't really affect anything in terms of drivability aspects, but it does get a little irritating sometimes. Short of having them drop the box again (and God knows what else they'll get wrong if they manage to rectify things), I've learnt to live with it.
Glad to hear in your case, you're plugging a replacement.