getting emergency gas from car for generator

Has anyone heard of a kit that you can pump gas from your car into gas cans? I live in Florida and when power goes out here, you can't even get gas from the gas stations. Last year I had gas in three five gallon cans and ran out after five days of running the generator on and off three hours at a time. If I could the 10 gallons out of our Focus, it would sure hel[p. You can't syphon gas out of the tank. Thanks Jay

Reply to
Jay1028

disconnect the fuel return pipe from the fuel rail,now find a pipe/tube that fits on the end and the other into a container. start engine and leave it runing, watch how the container fills up by itself!

Reply to
ford_technical_

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 05:01:02 -0400, "ford_technical_" wrote Re Re: getting emergency gas from car for generator:

Or even better, just get two more 5-gal gas cans for storage.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I was thinking of suggesting just that. But in case of emergency, no matter how much gas you have, you might need another 10 gallons. Depends how long the power is out.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

On 3 Jun 2006 19:54:56 -0700, "Tony Wesley" wrote Re Re: getting emergency gas from car for generator:

I live in a rural area where power outages are common. I keep six

5-gal cans stored in the tractor shed. I add StaBilt to the storage cans and keep them sealed tightly. With the StaBilt, the gas stays fresh for a year or more. Every couple of months I rotate one of gas cans by pouring the oldest gas into the car and then refilling the can. That way I don't have any gas older than a 12 or 18 months.

When on generator, I burn about 4 gallons/day.

Even with cans sealed tightly, you should store them in a well ventilated area.

Reply to
Vic Dura