handbreak button

Hi,
I have just got my first focus, 1.8 Ghia 2004 54 plate
the owners manual say don't push the button in when you raise the hand- break.
Why?
I hate the sound of the ratchet and would rather not wear the ratchet
out.
Does anyone know of a sensible reason why I should not continue to push the button in when I apply the hand-break?
Thanks for any info.
nospam wrote:

I'll bet they assume you to be dim enough to keep holding it, so that the ratchet will never catch and the brake won't set. I suppose they have to write like that to reach the lowest common denominator of users.
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

I too was surprised to read in the manual that we are now supposed to leave the button alone when putting the hand brake on. (I was also surprised that we are supposed to push firmly on brake pedal at the same time!) I was told by my dad that pulling it up too hard would stretch the cable.
I assume that if you push the button in, and release it at the top of the movement, you are less likely to get it to "catch" at the very top leaving the brake less firmly on. Stretching the cable may not be an issue these days, so we are encouraged to give it a good pull (which you will find is harder if you are using your thumb to hold and release the button at the same time!)