Headlights

My 2001 ZTS seems to eat headlights! It seems that every 6-8 months I need to replace a headlight because the low beam is burned out. Never replaced them that frequently on any other vehicle I've owned. Is this replacement frequency normal?

Reply to
Theo Weber

I've still got the original headlights on my 2000 SE. I've been thinking about replacing them with brighter ones, but they certainly haven't failed. I wonder if your voltage is too high. Have you had it checked?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Dave, I'll have them look at it next time it's in for service. Thanx

Theo

Reply to
Theo Weber

One possibility is that the back side of your headlight is not tight enough. This can lead to humidity inside the headlight cover whic in turn can lead to early failure of the bulb. Another explanation can be that you are using special bulbs (such as Osram Silverstar or Cool Blue) which have shorter service lives than the stock ones. The board voltage and maybe voltage spikes due to a defective alternator/regulator can also be a reason but if there are no problems with other electircal devices (such as radio etc) this shouldn't be the reason.

Reply to
TheSurgeon

My 01 Focus LX had a real problem with eating headlight bulbs, I went through 3 sets in 6 months.

I pestered the life out of the dealership and insited they fix it at service time.

After that I never had to replace a bulb in the remaining 2 years I had the car.

I have no idea what they did, but the tech guy said it was known issue

Reply to
Britespark

I'm surprised to hear this. My '99 LX with 76K is on the original bulbs. For the first 5 years I had it I did shift work with a 26 mile round trip so they have certainly been well used.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan