help focus over revving

i have an S reg focus ghia, it keeps over revving especially when cold, mosly when stationary ie at traffic lights, turning or sometimes braking in low gear. out of gear and feet off all pedals it can race up to 3000 then back down again!!! it's very embaracing as it sounds like i'm just revving the arse out of it. any advice as to what the cause could be? most desperate, would like some advice before going to a garage as i don't want to get conned.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

This is normal, its part of the warm up programming of the ECU.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. wrote

Revving to around 1000 rpm when cold may be normal but not to 3000 rpm

Reply to
Alan

It's normal for my car...

I've had my Focus for eight years, and it often revs to 2,500 rpm when not fully warmed up and crawling in traffic.

It only happens when the clutch pedal is pushed down, so does not affect driveability much. It's a bit disconcerting if you are unused to the car!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

:>In message , Tim.. :> wrote :>>

:>>This is normal, its part of the warm up programming of the ECU. :>>

:>

:>Revving to around 1000 rpm when cold may be normal but not to 3000 rpm

Revving to 1800-2000 when cold is normal for the US spec Focus to heat up the catalytic convertor. That's usually one of the first things the SCT and Diablo programmers fix. :-)

We've got an '01 SE Wagon, an '02 ZX5 and an '04 SVTF in the family. They all did it when first purchased. My SVTF has had that "fixed" with a tune for my SCT XCalibrator 2. It revs to around 1800 when first started but immediately drops down to around 900. The other two cars the revs stay up around 1800 for the first few minutes before dropping down to normal.

Also, we've got a local Focus car club with around 30 or 40 active members and, other than the ones that have been tuned, they all do the same.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

Well its not normal to rev up to 4000 revs and hold it at the lights and once u move off its still doing it. Busseys our local ford dealer replaced the throttle idle sensor. This seems to have cured it costing 124 quid. Ouch!!

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Your initial post said that the car revs whilst moving, but drops back to idle when it comes to a standstill. We gave you advice on this.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..