Hood insulation blanket worthwhile for 2005 Focus?

Most Fords have an insulating blanket under the hood. Many high quality smaller cars do as well to limit the 'buzziness' of the 4 cyl engines. I asked at my dealer and he said he would sell me one for my North American 2005 ZX5 SES for $158 Canadian.

Any opinions or experiences out there whether this would quiet the car significantly? It is only noticable when accelerating from a stop. On the highway, wind and road noise dominate but arent too bad. .

BTW - I am getting about 36 MPG (imperial gallon) = 30 mpg (US gal) =

7.7 l / 100 km in combined driving. Is this typical, good or bad?

Thanks.

Reply to
garyz

:>Most Fords have an insulating blanket under the hood. Many high quality :>smaller cars do as well to limit the 'buzziness' of the 4 cyl engines. :>I asked at my dealer and he said he would sell me one for my North :>American 2005 ZX5 SES for $158 Canadian. :>

:>Any opinions or experiences out there whether this would quiet the car :>significantly? It is only noticable when accelerating from a stop. On :>the highway, wind and road noise dominate but arent too bad. . :>

:>BTW - I am getting about 36 MPG (imperial gallon) = 30 mpg (US gal) = :>7.7 l / 100 km in combined driving. Is this typical, good or bad? :>

:>Thanks.

Ford seems to be very inconsistent on the underhood blankets. My Dad bought a new 2001 Focus wagon in May of '01 that came with the blanket. Later that year in December I bought a new 2002 ZX5 that did not come with the blanket. Then in February of '04 I sold the ZX5 to my brother and bought a 2004 SVT Focus 5 door that did come with the blanket. Talking to some of the people in our local Focus club there does not appear to be any pattern to it. Some people got the blanket and some didn't even on the same model year and style.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

That sounds about right if you have an automatic transmission.

With my manual with about 90% highway driving at 55 and 60 MPH and coasting up to stop signs and red lights I get between 38 and 41 MPG.

Oh and by the Way, the odometor turned over 200,000 miles two days ago.

Reply to
John R Cambron

I don't think that this method will reduce motor sound effectively because the sound into the cabin comes not through the hood and then through the front glass but through the firewall and this is the place where you should place more isolation material.

Reply to
TheSurgeon

In alt.autos.ford.focus garyz :

Lots of cash for this part? Unsure if it helps, probably not really much on highways. Perhaps you can test drive some Focus at your dealer which has the insulating blanket?

Found the most significant about noise in my Focus tires, most annoying Pirelli P6000, was somehow glad as they needed to be replaced. Now with Continental kind of driving a new car.;)

Sounds good, even if doesn't tell me much, dunno which engine "ZX5 SES" has?

Reply to
Michael Heiming

John, you make me feel like such a slacker. Mine crossed 99,000 today.

And the last payment is tomorrow. :)

Reply to
Tony Wesley

my 2003 SE wagon 2.0 zetec auto.....doesn't have the insulating blanket it may be the reason my heating wasn't too good this winter good thing you brought it up........

as for fuel economy your 7.7/100 combined is excellent

mine is almost 50% worse I kept track for almost 18 months, my average for combined driving was 11.5L / 100

did ford scrap the 2.0zetec for 2006?

Reply to
JJ