How automatic A/C works

Anybody knows how automatic A/C temperature regulation in Focus works? I heard about two basic principles: * A/C always works at full power; temperature is reduced with engine
heat * A/C has variable displacement I guess that second approach uses less power.
Adder wrote:

AC running you will hear the enging changing speeds as the load of the compressor cycles on and off.
me je napisao/la:

That's how old A/Cs work; new cars have variable swashplate compressors, but I don't know is it used in EU Mk II or not.