How can I tell if a 2001 Focus has ABS?

Hi, My wife just bought a 2001 Focus with 8600 miles that is in great shape. How can I found out if the car is equipped with anti-lock brakes? Is there somewhere under the hood I can look for the modulator
thingy? Or is there a number or letter in the VIN that would tell me?
Thanks, Matt
Matthew Wojtaszek wrote:

ABS or lack thereof isn't contained in the VIN. Brake code '2' on the vehicle certification label denotes ABS[1]. The vehicle certification label is positioned on the left-hand B-pillar above the latch. The brake code is located in the lower-left corner and is abbreviated 'BRK'.
[1] This is from the 2000 Focus service manual, I don't know if there was more than one type of ABS offered on the 2001. Implicit in the manual's description of the brake code is that lack of a code indicates a non-ABS system.
you have a light on the dash with "ABS" on it, it lights when you turn the key

Clues are:
Disc breaks all round, Traction control button adjacent to the hand break lever, Orange light on the dash, ABS relays and fuses in the fuse-box.
HTH
--
V Grumpy
Grupmy House
grumpy wrote:

My 2000 Focus wagon has ABS, but has rear drums and no traction control.
--
'01 SV650S '81 CM400T '99 EX250-F13

I've got rear drums, ABS and traction control. Its odd that yours doesn't have TC if its got ABS.
--
Paul Giverin

Not necessarily.
--
Paul Giverin

You could wait for some wet weather and some slippery road, make sure there's no cars around, and slam on the breaks (on a slippery road, it should work at low speeds). If you can feel the brake pedal vibrate/pulsate, then you have working ABS.
--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

and if you end up in the roadside ditch you know you haven't :)
--
Alan

Yep, but then it is the only way to find out if you don't know enough about cars and you want to be sure it's working. Albeit a large empty/wet car park would reduce any risk, but then you don't need to drive fast, if it's really wet, only jump hard enough on the brakes.;)
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)