How do I deactivate the automatic power door lock on a 2001 focus wagon

Hi,
I would like to know how to deactivate the automatic power door lock. So when you put the car in gear the door locks automaticly. I dont like this
feature and I want to deactive it.
Thank you
Benji
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Look in your owner's manual, and see if they have a procedure. If not, you can take it in to any dealer, and they will re-program the security module. Doesn't cost much.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have done it to my 2004 ZTW Look in owners manual, very easy to follow instructions
-- Martha & Chuck Rest if you must, but never quit
turtle@freespace .net

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ingrid. I've always thought that was a great feature. Why do you want to deactivate it?
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not Ingrid, but here are my reasons:
Because it perpetuates the myth that we live in a dangerous society? Because it increases the chances someone won't be able to extract me after an accident? Because I like to choose when I am locked in the car or not? Because the bloody "Ker-chunk" noise irritates me every time they lock?
Stephen
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:13:44 +0100, "Stephen F."

Battle cry of the next victum. I love watching cops and seen the boob who didn't lock the door, and a criminial on the highway jumped in his car, pushed hime out, and he was drug by his seat belt as the criminal drove away.

Common Sense, f you are in an accident, an unlocked door is more likely to come open from your flailing arms than a locked one. Between the road and your body is only that door many times.
Truth, Rescue services love using extraction tools. I've come to a few accident scenes where the door was ripped off in seconds flat., and no one checked if it was locked or not. Because, if you need to be removed not under your power, then typically you are injuried and you need to be back boarded out. That means f-da lock, door off, roof off.
Common sense, if in an accident you cannot operate the lock to unlock the door, how are you to operate the door handle, bust out the window, etc....?

Then get in the habit of locking the door yourself.

later,
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Outsite, if somthing hits the door handle could unlatch the door, if unlocked.
Inside if you hit hit the door handle, if it's unlocked, it could become unlatched. Typically a locked door disables the door handles. Some cars, it only disableds the outside door.
Keep that door closed in an accident, it's part of your protection.
later,
tom
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

That's possible, but the likelyhood is small. You have to reach inside the door handle and pull outward to open the door. But I can visualize that there are circumstances where it could happen.

For the Focus, the locked door only disables the outside handle. At least the driver's side, I just pull to open. Don't recall the passenger side, not there much. And I'm never in the back seat.

Absolutely. I guess I'm not convinced that locking the door helps that much. And some think it could hurt.
For instance
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/test%20drives/td-ford_windstar_van-2003.htm
Except in dangerous neighborhoods, it is safest to travel with front doors unlocked and rear doors locked but the Windstar doesn't easily permit this. It locks all the doors, automatically, as soon as a gear is selected, after which one can have either all the doors locked or all the doors unlocked
------------------
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/test%20drives/td-vw-touareg_2004.htm
Safety Topic: Doors locked or unlocked when driving?
Granted, such occasions are very rare but as a former traffic patrol officer I know of instances where unconscious people have died because nobody could get into their car in time to help them, following a serious crash and a fire.
Our advice, at DSA, would always be to disable automatic door locking (and this option is nearly always available) and rely instead on child locks on the back doors, if necessary, and a standard central locking switch for those times when it will make you feel safer to be locked in.
Some cars now come with automatic unlocking, in the event of a crash and -- logically speaking -- I don't doubt that it would work. But I wouldn't want to rely on it for real. Would you?
Personally, I'll stick to the old fashioned but unbeatable way to deal with this issue: the simple rule "back doors locked and front door(s) unlocked."
------------------
I am not convinced that locked or unlocked is safer and I'm certainly not claiming that you're wrong. It's inconclusive to me. FWIW, I let the Focus lock the doors but I rarely lock the doors in my other car while driving.
I can understand why some people would want to turn off the auto-locking feature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Tony Wesley" wrote ...

I'd love to know what you base that on Tony!
The thing with neighborhoods is sometimes you only find out you're in a bad one when something bad happens. They don't post big warning signs on the roads leading in.
As for the door locks, by keeping the doors securely closed, they help maintain occupant safety in the event of a serious accident. Look inside the door panels of any modern car, and you'll see how they integrate with the vehicle's structure to form a safety cell for the passengers.
Please don't tell us you're one of these guys who counts on being "thrown clear" in the event of an accident. When I was a newspaper photographer, I bore witness to plenty of those guys being scrapped off the roads :(
Cheers
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Basic Wedge wrote:

Whoa. I didn't say that, I quoted a page that said it.
Here's an except from my original post:
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/test%20drive ...
Except in dangerous neighborhoods, it is safest to travel with front doors unlocked and rear doors locked but the Windstar doesn't easily permit this...
It's from the URL above.

I disagree. I live in the Detroit area. The signs of social-economic change are obvious. High crime neighboors are not economically prosperous.

I'm sure they'll help. But I believe the crash tests are done with the doors unlocked. At least this site says so:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2000/November/05.html
"Ray: So does locking the door increase the likelihood that it will stay closed in an accident? Maybe a little. But the federal standard for UNLOCKED door latches is pretty darned stringent. The standard assumes that people won't lock their doors, so it requires that unlocked doors be able to withstand at least 2,500 pounds of pressure without opening. And that's a lot.
"Tom: Depending on the individual design, some locking mechanisms might add a few more pounds to that standard. Others might not. So it doesn't hurt to lock the doors, but it's not crucial to your ability to survive a crash."

Oh no. Not me. I want to stay firmly belted inside my car, with the car doors closed.
I find it a pain in the keister when I walk up to passenger side of my Focus to put something in the car and I realize it's locked. Because the passenger side is *always* locked after I've driven the car. And I hate the way I have to leave the window open (even if it's raining) when I leave the car running, because if I don't and the darn thing autolocks (as folks have reported here) while in park, I won't be able to get back in the car unless I have the window down.
So I can understand why some folks want to disable the autolocking feature. I other understand why others think it's A Good Thing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Wesley wrote:

I carry a spare key on me for that, however my '00 ZX3 manual doesn't do that until starts rolling, then if opened after moving it won't lock again until restarted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

First a locked car door will not interfere with the extracation of an injured victim. Most accidents I've seen, when we arrived, if a person wasn't able to get out of the car under their power, the roof was torn off and they were plucked out on a backboard. The door(most times the door window) was only for the emt to get in an assess the victim.
-Insurance company says lock your doors to prevent them from failing in an accident http://www.chopurl.com?491
-another discussion about locking car doors: http://www.chopurl.com?492

huh?
later,
tom @ www.PhotoSplat.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stephen F. wrote:

Ingrid
try here........... it works for 2003 ford focus http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid %
fud
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The European Focus don't do this, can it be activated? /per

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.