How good are the focus?

Sorry for the band qustion but my wife is looking for a newer car, wants to spend about 12,000 dollars. She has a ford contour with 166,000 miles on it and wants something newer. She has looked at the subaru, and a few other small cars no focus yet. She would refer a stick not auto. Any help would be great great thank you

Reply to
wayne mak

I own both, and both vehicles have manual transmissions.

The all wheel drive on the Suburu is the big reason we purchased it, but in driving it for years and comparing it to my 2002 Ford Focus SE, I would take the Subaru anyday over my Focus. From a quality perspective, I am concerned about how many miles I will get out of my Focus before the maintenance costs start to grow. The original factory brakes wore out fast, though the quality replacement brake pads I installed at 40,000 miles are holding up very well. I'm a bit concerned about how many other items on my vehicle that Ford went with the cheapest and most minimal supplier. However, I have 82,000 miles on it, and the only thing that has failed so far is the vehicle speed sensor.

I got a fantastic deal on my Subaru by using

we purchased it from Maita Subaru in Sacramento California -- they gave us a great deal and they didn't play any games with us - they rock!!!

Reply to
Jack

I think a lot of people will agree that people in Europe are far more demanding about cars than the USA. We have more corners and high speed limits and the European market tends to be a higher benchmark to meet.

It's is widely excepted over here that the ford focus is the best hatch back you can buy in it class by a long way. No other car (in it's class) handles as well.

Reply to
James

To be honest I am not sure if the European Ford focus is the same as the American one.

The do say over here that people are shocked to see how cheap American cars are to buy. It's not untill they start falling apart that they understand why they are so cheap.

Reply to
James

About the same as Subaru. In fact, judging by recent model statistics, seems like Subaru really cheaped out on wheel bearings. Ford did much better. Current Focii rate right up there with Toyota, Honda and, yes, Subaru.

However, I have 82,000 miles

Surely seems reliable to me. Don't forget to mention that the Focus get

*much* better MPG. Handles better and it's quicker too.

They sell Focii too.

Reply to
FanJet

Reply to
wayne mak

love my 2004 Focus with the 2.3L motor, lots of zip. But the ford dealers around here (NYC) are all idiots and rip off artists in the service dept. And when I called Ford Corporate to complain they said we stand behind our dealers.

Reply to
Yea Right

Especially when customers are pelting rocks. ;)

What you said about NYC dealers, doesn't seem limited to only ford. Since it appears that customers are willing to settle for a level of customer service, that's what is being provided there. Now I'm speaking more from Brooklyn stories, but I'm guessing it's almost universal the behavior in all of NYC.

later,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom