How good are the focus?

Sorry for the band qustion but my wife is looking for a newer car, wants to spend about 12,000 dollars. She has a ford contour with 166,000 miles on it
and wants something newer. She has looked at the subaru, and a few other small cars no focus yet. She would refer a stick not auto. Any help would be great great thank you
I own both, and both vehicles have manual transmissions.
The all wheel drive on the Suburu is the big reason we purchased it, but in driving it for years and comparing it to my 2002 Ford Focus SE, I would take the Subaru anyday over my Focus. From a quality perspective, I am concerned about how many miles I will get out of my Focus before the maintenance costs start to grow. The original factory brakes wore out fast, though the quality replacement brake pads I installed at 40,000 miles are holding up very well. I'm a bit concerned about how many other items on my vehicle that Ford went with the cheapest and most minimal supplier. However, I have 82,000 miles on it, and the only thing that has failed so far is the vehicle speed sensor.
I got a fantastic deal on my Subaru by using
http://www.carsdirect.com /
we purchased it from Maita Subaru in Sacramento California -- they gave us a great deal and they didn't play any games with us - they rock!!!

To be honest I am not sure if the European Ford focus is the same as the American one.
The do say over here that people are shocked to see how cheap American cars are to buy. It's not untill they start falling apart that they understand why they are so cheap.
Jack wrote:

About the same as Subaru. In fact, judging by recent model statistics, seems like Subaru really cheaped out on wheel bearings. Ford did much better. Current Focii rate right up there with Toyota, Honda and, yes, Subaru.
However, I have 82,000 miles

Surely seems reliable to me. Don't forget to mention that the Focus get *much* better MPG. Handles better and it's quicker too.

They sell Focii too.
I have owned Fords, Toyotas, Mazdas, and a Saab. Some held up better than others. the Corrolla was the worst, the Mazda 626 perhaps the best. My current car is a Sable with the 24V 6-v (1996) and its no rocket but it still has good power compared with whats out there. My F-150 (300 CI 6 cylinder) Has run great and been used like a truck, I move metal lathes, Mills and what ever weekly, the 150 still looks good and still runs great gas milage is a joke. My wifes Contour with 166,000 miles on it runs fine in fact its still a fun car to drive and handles great, so to say Ford or American cars don't hold up thats crap. We looked at some used A4 s and if they had many miles on them had a list of expensive repairs done, brakes $1000, new suspension $1500, timing belt $1300. As to the Subaru I had one YEARS ago that was good but it was a whole different car. A good friend of mine sold his outback wagon because all the problems however it had the 4 valve per cylinder engine they used for just a few years that had problems all over the board. he had a burnt valve at 70,000 miles.

I think a lot of people will agree that people in Europe are far more demanding about cars than the USA. We have more corners and high speed limits and the European market tends to be a higher benchmark to meet.
It's is widely excepted over here that the ford focus is the best hatch back you can buy in it class by a long way. No other car (in it's class) handles as well.
love my 2004 Focus with the 2.3L motor, lots of zip. But the ford dealers around here (NYC) are all idiots and rip off artists in the service dept. And when I called Ford Corporate to complain they said we stand behind our dealers.

Especially when customers are pelting rocks. ;)
What you said about NYC dealers, doesn't seem limited to only ford. Since it appears that customers are willing to settle for a level of customer service, that's what is being provided there. Now I'm speaking more from Brooklyn stories, but I'm guessing it's almost universal the behavior in all of NYC.
later,
tom