ignition key wont turn

Page 1 of 2
HI I HAVE A 2001 FORD FOCUS AND WHEN I TRY TO START IT THE KEY GOOS IN BUT IT WONT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IS IN THE LOCK POSSION ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT

TSS1112 wrote:

A bad ignition lock. Foci seem to suffer from this.
Tony Wesley schrieb:

Hi American foci seem to suffer from this. Never heard about this here in Germany. But our new friend with the malfunctionaly keyboard doesnt tell us where he lives. If hes from Europe or Asia, there could be a new problem. bye Jupp

Different key style, therefore different locks in Europe.
--
Alan
Alan schrieb:

Hi corret, I know that. I only wanted to point out that it would be helpful to tell where someone lives when posting a problem that is not the same everywhere. bye Jupp

You need a new lock. It has to be done by a dealer or locksmith since it needs to be set to your existing keys. Costs me a couple hundred $ including tow.
Go with the locksmith, not only will he be cheaper but will install a better quality lock. The locksmith might also come to your house, or where the car is parked, so you can avoid the cost of the tow. Scuttlebutt on the internet is the new Ford OEM redesigned locks are still failing.

You need a new lock. It has to be done by a dealer or locksmith since it needs to be set to your existing keys. Costs me a couple hundred $ including tow.
Henri wrote:

The second one that was installed by the dealer has infact failed.
I just leave the key in the lock and carry a second key to get in the car.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

John R Cambron schrieb:

Hi thats a very bad idea. When your car gets stolen, the insurance will not pay a dime. Thats for Germany, I think that is the same way in most other countries. bye Jupp
Josef Erbs wrote:

My car has over 200,000 mile on it, my insurance company will not pay much more then a dime anyway. The Ford Focus is not that high on stolen car scale, and I don't travel to areas and park my car long enough for the risk to be that high.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

John R Cambron schrieb:

Hi it might be bad enough if some kids smash your Window, get into the car and get away with it. Some miles later they may drive into a group of people, hit a bus or do some other damage to other property or health.
I dont know what your mind is going to tell you when something like that happens because you left your key in your car. bye Jupp
Josef Erbs wrote:

The odds of such a scenario to happen is so low that I laugh at this comment.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

"" wrote: > Josef Erbs wrote: > > > > John R Cambron schrieb: > > > &nbsp;> > My car has over 200,000 mile on it, my insurance > company will not > &nbsp;> > pay much more then a dime anyway. The Ford Focus is > not that high > &nbsp;> > on stolen car scale, and I don't travel to areas and > park my car > &nbsp;> > long enough for the risk to be that high. > &nbsp;> > > > > > Hi > > it might be bad enough if some kids smash your Window, get > into the car > > and get away with it. Some miles later they may drive into a > group of > > people, hit a bus or do some other damage to other property > or health. > > > > I dont know what your mind is going to tell you when > something like > > that happens because you left your key in your car. > > The odds of such a scenario to happen is so low that I laugh > at > this comment. > > -- > John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.
I was looking for info on my Focus when I saw this question. I had the ignition problem with my 2000 focus. I was at the store when it happened and since I have AAA plus I called them figuring they would have to tow me to Ford but they informed me I have locksmith service and they sent that guy and he fixed it on the spot with a much better one all free of charge under my AAA service so that was a load off my mind about paying for another repair on this car.
TSS1112 wrote:

To be precise the ignition switches defect is related to the quality of the pins in the cylinder lock. They are made of Brass. When the ware on the pins exceed the tolerance needed to turn lock the lock will not turn.
In the mean time incert the key in the lock strike the key a couple of times that should set the pins so you can turn the key.
I am on my second ignition lock which has also failed. I just leave a key in the ignition all the time and carry a second key to unlock the car.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

This is actually illegal in some places, but what I do is squirt in lock lubricant (not regular oil, which attracts dirt) a couple of times a year. This used to be part of normal auto maintenance.
When was it part of normal auto maintenance to squirt lock lubricant into the ignition lock?
I do not know of any one who does this and should not have to any how.
I have many old car manuals/service manuals both domestic and imported and no where can I find any reference to putting lock lubricant into the ignition lock as being part of normal car maintenance.
Me thinks you are "BSing" us.
wrote

This is actually illegal in some places, but what I do is squirt in lock lubricant (not regular oil, which attracts dirt) a couple of times a year. This used to be part of normal auto maintenance.

I was surprised to notice my key was oiled after a couple of uses. This only means the ignition lock has some kind of lubricant in it as the key was perfectly clean when I received it.
-Nick

Lubricating exterior locks has long been standard practise, but the ignition lock has often been done both at the factory and by conscientious technicians. It isn't needed everywhere, depending on climate. Greece is probably included because of dry dusty conditions.

Heh. You're so crabby and negative I'm not surprised your circle is limited.
This method worked great to fix our ignition problem... thanx a mil...