indicator won't cancel

Could anyone throw light on the fact that my 2001 Focus will not cancel the indicator when I completed the corner.I know in older cars it was the switch
itself but with more modern cars I haven't a clue .I had someone look at the stalk itself but he was a little reluctant when it looked more complicated than he thought with the air bag being in the vacinity. Thanks Pete

Your switch is undoubtedly broken, but you are right that the air bag makes replacement vastly more serious. It MUST be done by qualified personnel. People's necks have been broken when those things go off accidentally when someone's head is too close.