Intermittent Power Door Lock Problem

My focus wagon front passenger-side master unlock switch doesn't work intermittently. When this happens, it will work if the ignition key is first turned to ON. Dealer replaced switch, no help. Any ideas?

If it "always" works when the ignition key is first turned to ON and then refuses to work, it is highly possible that the switch is not the source of the problem and the problem lies within the electronic module which controls the system.

"john" wrote:

Hi John,
I wish I could help you but Im encountering much the same problem with my 02 Focus Wagon. In fact, I was scouring the net looking for possible solutions to this very problem when I came across your post....
With mine, the front passenger side master unlock switch only works when the drivers side door is physically unlocked using the key. I can unlock the passenger side using the key but then the master unlock wont work on the passengers side until the car is entered via the drivers side. Weird huh?
I only purchased my car a few weeks ago and have already run in to electrical problems (seemingly) unrelated to the door locks. Im getting an airbag light as well as the wipers seem to turn on/off from time to time at their convenience (havent lately though...). To me, sounds like a short in the system somewhere and Im taking it in to the Ford Dealer on Tuesday (April 12). Theyre going to hook it up to the diagnostic machine so if they find fault with the power locks, Ill happily post here what they find.
Cheers,
Nathan
"cloud9" wrote: > [quote:83028f4c53="john"]My focus wagon front passenger-side > master unlock switch doesn't work > intermittently. When this happens, it will work if the > ignition key is > first turned to ON. Dealer replaced switch, no help. Any > ideas?[/quote:83028f4c53] > > Hi John, > > I wish I could help you but I'm encountering much the same > problem with my '02 Focus Wagon. In fact, I was scouring the > net looking for possible solutions to this very problem when I > came across your post.... > > With mine, the front passenger side master unlock switch only > works when the drivers' side door is physically unlocked using > the key. I can unlock the passenger side using the key but > then the master unlock won't work on the passengers' side > until the car is entered via the drivers' side. Weird huh? > > I only purchased my car a few weeks ago and have already run > in to electrical problems (seemingly) unrelated to the door > locks. I'm getting an airbag light as well as the wipers seem > to turn on/off from time to time at their convenience (haven't > lately though...). To me, sounds like a short in the system > somewhere and I'm taking it in to the Ford Dealer on Tuesday > (April 12). They're going to hook it up to the diagnostic > machine so if they find fault with the power locks, I'll > happily post here what they find. > > Cheers, > > Nathan
Hi again John,
Well, my door lock and other electrical problems disappeard on their own as quickly as they began..... Unfortunately, Ive had to file these occurences under the category X File....
I suspect that theres a moisture-related fault (been pretty dry since they stopped acting up) but will have to wait for another decent dose of rain to know for sure. I didnt end up getting my car scanned (OBD) as the airbag light wasnt on the day I had it booked and they wanted to charge me $80 to hook it up. No sense wasting money - Ill wait till the light illuminates again b4 getting it checked. Again, when (not if) it does happen and I get it looked at, Ill post the results here.
Did you find anything new out with your Focus lock problems?
Nathan