Intermittent (variable) wiper switch in European Focus?

I would like to know if someone tried the wiperswitch modification in a European Focus. See

My dealer is not sure this modification will work on the European Focus.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bert van Nes

A lot of people in the UK Focus owners club have dobe this mod, fitting the ghia wiper stalk to zetecs etc. IIRC it does not work on some of the special editions and some of the diesels (the main thing seems to be that you have all 10 pins populated with wires at the wiper stalk, not 9 out of 10).

Have a search on the FFFOC UK forum

for 'ghia wiper stalk' or follow this link (watch the wrap):
or this one:

HTH,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

THIS WAS TOO INTERESTING TO IGNORE -- FORD REPAIRS, STILL SUCK. SUE THEM IN COURT ALL THE TIME.

Sheila of McAlester OK (10/22/03): We bought a 2001 Ford Focus in October of 2001. We have had the car two years now and have put over $15,000 in repairs into it. Now mind you we bought the car brand new with 75 miles and a extended warranty. We have had to have the brakes replaced twice and we have had to buy new tires every 3 months because the car will not stay aligned and the car eats the tires.

Two months after we got the car the windshield cracked and they refused to replace it. and now the fuel pump is going out and that is another $1,500 in repairs. Everytime we call the dealership they said it's weareable parts and not under warranty. Also the keys get stuck in the igniton switch and that's another $300 to fix. I'm getting sick because I have a new car that we are paying payments on and we can't

even go out of town with it in fear of it breaking down.

I feel like we got a lemon and the dealership is doing nothing to solve the problem. I have all the documentation on all the repairs we have had on the car and what still has to be done.

It has caused us undue stress and we sat on the side of the road for nine hours the other day and we where 48 miles from

home. I feel like we where lied to by the dealership and ford about the car. And no one has done anything to help solve the problem. I know for a fact we aren't the only ones that are having these same problems. The mechanic at the dealership we know personally and he has told us that they get the Focuses in everyday with the same complaints we have.

Marleny of Dallas GA (8/15/03): We brought a 2001 Ford Focus in for a repair and Jim Tidwell

Ford dealership in Kennesaw, GA had the car for 45 days. Then we got a call and they said the car was finished. First

they never called to ok the repair, then they wanted us to pay a deductible for $250.00 and told me the problem was the sensor in the transmission. So we paid $250.00 and took the car.

Well, about ten minutes after we left the dealer the car started to stall and buck. So I called the dealership and asked what the heck was fixed? So we brought the car back and they said the

battery cables were bad and to replace them would be $650.00. So they fixed that and then called us saying there was a problem with the head. Well the extended warranty is supposed to cover that. The extended warranty company would not cover the repair due to carbon build up.

Ford also will not cover the repair and now I read the ford focus article in your web site and it mentions things that are happening to my car!

Now I am supposed to pay $3000.00 for a repair that is covered by an extended warranty that World Ford sold to me.

Brett of Glendale Heights IL (6/8/03): I had damage inflicted on my wheel about a month ago. I went

to a retailer and two dealerships trying to find a factory replacement wheel for my 2003 (purchased in Feb. of this year) Focus. The only things that the dealership was able to

come up with is that the wheel I need is considered by Ford to be a "production" only part at this time. The wheel won't be

available to the public or dealerships until October. Needless to say the spare I am driving on won't wait until October. I contacted Fords customer service center and was told that there was nothing they could or would do to help me and my situation.

Damage: the need to purchase 4 new/different wheels to replace 1 damaged one. Safty hazard from driving on a spare for too long.

Pat of Providence Forge VA (4/29/03): I purchased a 2000 Ford Focus in June 2002 (used); there have been numerous recalls on this vehicle. My recent concern is the rear wheel bearing replacement, which I had taken care of, now the dealership informs me that both front wheel bearings need to be replaced and are not part of the recall program.

All mechanics including the service manager at the dealership inform me that there is no reason for a car with only 51,000

miles for the front wheel bearing to go out. (especially both at the same time) but of course they have yet to be recalled and they will not repair without me paying $400.00 fee. I know this seems petty, but why recall rear and not note there may be a problem with the front.

I did not experience a problem with the front wheels until I

took my car in for the rear wheel recall. I have been driving this vehicle since that was completed in March, 2003. I have

been driving an unsafe vehicle and of course Ford Motor will

not stand behind their product. According to several Ford service managers and other mechanics, this should not be occuring with only 51K miles on the vehicle. I am not a person that wants someone to do something for me for nothing, I feel Ford knows there are many defects on this vehicle and are not willing to repair/replace until someone dies.

Richard of Henderson NV (2/5/03): The ignition system on my 2000 Ford Focus died at 36,004 miles, 4 miles past the warranty. The tow truck operator who

towed my car said he's towed dozens of Focuses that had the same problem. The man behind me in line at the service center at the dealership said the same thing happened to him. They won't honor the warrenty with 4 extra miles. I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to deal with repairs, and the first time I drove it passed the warrenty limitations it breaks.

Rachel of Saginaw TX (11/5/02): My 2000 Ford Focus was involved in an automobile accident and we believe this was due to a break in the CV Joint and loss of supension.

Damage Resulting: Complete loss of vehicle, trip to the emergency room for series of X-Rays, three days of work lost, having to work while still in pain, having to take two

different pain medications and not being able to properly care for my children during this altered state.

Mike of Trade TN (11/2/02): I purchased a 2000 Ford Focus in October 2000. Since then the car has been in the shop for 50+ days for problems ranging from engine problems resulting in the motor being replaced to brake system faliure. I have all the service work orders. So far warranty has covered but Ford has said that they will no longer fix the transmission in the car even though the car has less than 3 years or 36 thousand miles which is what I thought the warranty covered. Apparently it is only 3

years 36 thousand miles if they like you or something.

My transmission has been replaced 3 times for the same problems -- gear whine in 5th gear which they claim is normal. Every independent mechanic that i have spoken to has said the car has a definite problem, and there is no such thing as normal gear whine.

Tthe brake faliure was caused by the right rear wheel cylinder breaking and leaking all the fluid out. I live in the mountains and had I been going down a hill I probbaly would have crashed the car, not even the emergency brake worked.

Patricia of Evansville IN (10/22/02): Have a 2001 Ford Focus that has less than 4,100 miles on it and they are replacing the rack/pinion, transmission (auto) and alternator. I believe this is the worst car on the market and has so many defects that it needs to be taken off the market and

people given their money back. I am very disappointed in this vehicle and am getting no help or recourse from Ford. Consumer News April 17

2004

? Feds Sue Tax Avoidance Group

? Sex Spam Must Be Labeled, Feds Decree ? Dell Exports Jobs ? IRS Reminder: Stock Losses Aren't Theft ? Senate Bill Would Allow Drug Re-Importation ? USA TODAY News

PRINT PAGE

E-MAIL PAGE

THE LATEST OUTRAGE! TruGreen Chemlawn

Recent Recalls & Warnings

? GM Mid-Sized SUVs ? Mazda Tribute

? Honda Recalls Vans, SUVs ? Ford Recalls Escape ? Tek Nek Ride-On Toy Trucks ? The Batmobile

? Shindaiwa Hedge Trimmers

Get Our Newsletter

Your E-mail Address

Back to the t> I would like to know if someone tried the wiperswitch modification in a

Reply to
John Shuck

Thank you Chris. I will check the number of wires first.

Bert.

Reply to
Bert van Nes

"John Shuck" quoted second-hand for trolling purposes

Personally I don't believe this, but regardless it is obviously totally unrepresentative of the experience of owners of early Foci (my 2000 wagon has cost me $250 in out-of-warranty repairs in four years). The same Consumer Reports now recommends the Focus for quality and reliability.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I agree Dave. My 2000 wagon just rolled over 50,000 kms, so, naturally, I have a long list of items requiring service at this interval - brakes, tires, shocks, fluids. The costs add up, but they'd be the same, or more, with any other model of car. So far, I've been pleased with my Focus.

Rob

-----------------------------

"Dave Gower" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge

I went to my Ford-dealer in Zeist (Netherlands) but they had never heard of this modification. They did not want to let me try it, because its all electrical and there could go something wrong (!?!?!)....

Please let me know if you've done the job, I am very interested!

By the way, my focus is a 1.6 Trend Wagon (new series 2002 but without MP3).

Jan-Wijtze. Remove _spem_ from my emailadres.

"Bert van Nes" schreef in bericht news:4081233a$0$65943$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl...

Reply to
J.W. Smit

Hi Jan-Wijtze,

My Focus is a 1.6 Ambiente (series 2000). I ordered a new Focus Futura and asked the dealer (Netherlands) for the switch. The dealer is willing to order the switch that is used in the Ghia models as a sparepart for about Euro 52,50 but they don't know if it will do the job. They assume that I possibly need some kind of a timer module too. If they have to figure it out I have to pay them, so that's not an option. I don't believe that there is much difference in cabling between the Ghia and other European models.

The dealer stated that the European Focus is not the same as the American one (ZX3). According to the UK users (thanks to Chris) the modifiation will work in some models and do not in others especially diesels and some special models. UK users found out that the number of wires is important. If the wiper switch has 9 wires connected, replacement of the switch has no effect. Models with a 10 wire switch can be modified.

Because the Focus Futura is a special model (maybe for the Dutch market only?) I think I have to wait until the delivery (June). Then I will check the number of wires and if necessary I will try to obtain the electrical diagram.

Bert.

Reply to
Bert van Nes

Re-Importation

Reply to
mikl

I think it must be someone from one of those ricer car forums, or perhaps a GM or Dodge/Chrysler owner. I have a 2002 Focus SE wagon, and the only things that have ever gone wrong are a bad paint job on the front bumper, which was fixed under warranty, and center caps on the aluminum wheels that come off if a tire jockey gets too rough with dismounting the tires for rotation or new tires. I remove them myself now and have not lost a cap since. It's my wife's daily driver, and she loves it.

Reply to
Richard Ray

First off who pays $650 to replace battery cables????? Also why did you wait for like 10 hours for a tow truck. Do you not have AAA you should get it. The 2000 focuses are most likely the most buggiest out of all of them. I have a 2001 SE with now over 110,000 miles on it. These are the most common problems. First if you are hard on the brakes this is not the car for you. The rotors are cheap and if you slam the brakes alot they will warp and wear out very quickly. I have only had these things done to my car. The fuel pump went after 100k recall covered that cost. The airbag sensor went bad after 30k warrantee covered that. I had the brakes pads changed 2 times. I changed the wiper blades after 70k. I still have not had to tune up the car and as long as you run chevron gas the fuel system stays clean. Still on the original belts np. I flushed the tranny after 70k. Car still looks new and runs great. I have heard about the key getting stuck and I can see this happen if you are hard and slam the keys into the ignition. Be gentle with the keys and it should be fine. I think its a great car I have the 2.0 zetec and it passes anyone even at

85mph no problem. Oh I replaced the tires after 70k. Rotate them and they will last. The car does real well on gas. The CD changer skips on some CD's but thats about it. I guess it doesn't like some of the music I listen too.

Reply to
Harry