iPOD connection to CD6000 head unit at no cost??

Is there a simple and cheap way to connect an iPod to a factory-fitted Ford head unit (it's a 6000 - type)? I know that there are proprietary cables on
the market, but is there a simple bodge connection(s) that will persuade the head to accept the audio output from the iPod? I'm not wanting to have the head unit do anything clever like track changing - just volume up and down will do ;o)
TIA Pete
Nope - no simple way, other than using a cheapo (and illegal) FM modulator/transmitter so that your iPod appears as a broadcast radio station - you will not get quality but will get sound with occasional interference.
You need some kind of 'CD-Changer' lead to do this properly. That means it has a microcontroller built in to do the protocol conversion.

Ford
on
the
This is what you want: http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/ICE-Link.html Plugs straight into the CD changer connector on your factory fit head unit.... They do a nice mounting bracket too, which attatches to your focus heater vent, with no tools required.
Gary

the
down
Mmmm,
Thanks guys, I was hoping for some info that involved a soldering iron and no cash ;o)
The custom-made solution is fine and I believe it works well but costs circa 80, and I'm too cheap for that - lol!
If I could get hold of a wiring diagram for the head unit, I'd have a go at this myself.
Thanks for the info.
Regards, Pete

cables
persuade
Gary Pigott wrote:

That looks pretty cool. Is there just the one connector for the docking port or is there another one in the headphone/remote port too. The generic (doesn't look like any Ford I've seen!) picture seems to show a grey connector in the top port too. Anyone got any better pictures?
LJ
Look at the ice-link reviews, I'm a bit concerned that there might be a problem related to ignition/alternator noise finding its way into the audio side of the iPOD when charging via the car electrics....
http://www.ihavetohave.it/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum ;f=3
Regards, Pete

generic
Nope - no simple way, other than using a cheapo (and illegal) FM modulator/transmitter so that your iPod appears as a broadcast radio station - you will not get quality but will get sound with occasional interference.
You need some kind of 'CD-Changer' lead to do this properly. That means it has a microcontroller built in to do the protocol conversion.

Ford
on
the
news.blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

Pete
easiest way is to use an iTrip in the top of your iPod, and tune your radio in to that. I have heard of a connector for the iPod to allow you to use it instead of a multi changer (a friend of mine in germany has one in her a4) but I can't remember off hand who makes it....
Cheers
Ben
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

actually, have a look at this
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id &67
this company seem to have a lot of ipod connectors.....
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:55:10 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

But costs more than an iTrip...

The Denison Ice>Link is what you're after: http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id75&Itemidy
Connects right into the CD-changer connector in your head unit, and they support the Ford CD6000.
Gary
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are
crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:25:43 +0100, Gary Pigott wrote:

but costs as much as the iPod itself, or 10 iTrips!

...So does a CD changer..... I have an iTrip, with the iPod sitting in a Belkin TuneDok (a very nice way to mount your iPod in a spare cup holder), and it's fine but...... the sound quality isn't great. It's not even as clear as a good FM radio station reception (which is to be expected). The only way to get a good clean signal, that will come close to the audio quality that an iPod is capable of, is a direct connection, either to an external AUX connection on your head unit (if you're lucky), one of those tape adapters, or a neat link to the CD changer connector. All those cables hanging out of the dash is a pain. Only the CD changer option adds the ability to change tracks using the controls on the head unit or steering wheel.
Gary
--
Self-referencing
Five, seven, five syllables