Is 17MPG as good as it gets?

I have a 2004 ZX5 with 2.3L PZEV engine. I get about 34 MPG when I go on trips but driving around New York City with stop and go traffic but some freeway, I'm only getting 17 - 18 mpg, less with the air
conditioning on. Is this as good as it gets for city driving? I'd have thougth I'd get in the low 20's anyway.
TIA jt

2.3 engine should get better results
try different gas, put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and new air filter.... check tire pressure.....34psi for 16inch Perrelli
reply to group with your results
-