Just found this great oil!

Page 1 of 2
I heard about this stuff for a little while but had that mental block about changing oil every 3,000 miles.Heres the link to the website http://64.17.132.131/ or go to synfullube.com The site was was ok but the
product is incredible. I saw results right off the bat so I'm going to put all of their products in my truck. Just thought everyone out there would want to at least check this stuff out.
Yawn. Another "miracle" oil scam.

about
7,500 miles - Bah! Read about 2 years - 18,000 miles oil change intervals here: http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/EUXXENPVLMOMobilSHCFormulaLD_0W-30.asp /per

about
the
all
to at

Don't do it. The enemy is dirt. Synthetic oil gets just as dirty as regular oil. The longest one should go is maybe 6000 miles (10000km).

Doesn't the Focus have an oil filter?
--
Alan

Of course it does, but filters only remove particles down to a certain size. If they removed smaller ones, they couldn't pass oil. The problem is not so much the abrasive action of particles, as the contaminants they contain.
What most people don't realize is just how extreme the environment is inside an automobile engine, and how violent the life of engine oil really is. That's why it needs to be changed so often (and why things like the lubricant inside a manual transmission or differential need changing far less, if at all.)

[..]
With normal usage, I simply stick with the Ford recommended change interval (oil + filter), once a year or every 20.000 km whatever comes first. (at least over here)
Never any problems, my prior Ford (Diesel) had an recommended interval (oil + filter) of 10.000 km or once a year, times I exchanged it with my Focus, the engine was still running like new, after >230.000 km.;)
Wouldn't trust those magic extra filters, that should run your oil for ages, pur FUD.
Anyway, from driving Ford since decades, the cars do usually fall apart from rust long before any real problem with the engine.
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

20,000 km is way too long. I understand that these have been set by commercial, rather than engineering, considerations.
About 20 years ago the North American manufacturers started making the same mistake, competing for long service intervals. When engines started to fail prematurely they came to their senses and stopped that nonsense. Wonder how long it will take in Europe?
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:18:16 -0400, "Dave Gower"

What a load of Rot The main reason oil change intervals have increased is due to the ability of engine manufacturers to build to tighter spec/tolerances. and the improvements in oil technologies How would increasing oil change intervals be of commercial interest to the Manufacturers? Most car makers give at least a 3 year/100k warranty
My last Focus went back to the lease company after 3 years and 90k miles of hard driving, running as well if not better than when it was new with all servicing done at the recommended 12.5k mile intervals. The only people to benefit from shorter oil change intervals are the people who sell oil and the garages who charge rediculous prices to do services.

Where does all this dirt come from? if filters are changed regularly oil/air then dirt ingress is minimal. Oil turns dark because of combustion products not because of dirt in the oil. The main reason for oil been changed is because its lubrication properties tend to breakdown over time and as oil companies improve this the ability for longer change intervals increases.
Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

It makes a good selling point. And the consequences don't come home until after the warranty expires. And if you check these extended service blurbs, either from the car manufacturer or oil company you'll see lots of caveats i.e. not stop-and-go driving, not in extreme climates, avoiding dusty areas etc.
Like I said, we've been through it on this side of the pond. And yes, engines and oils have improved, but don't take that too far.

Longer oil change intervals often come with very specific oil requirements (as opposed to just generic API or ACEA ratings). Given the tendency of people and mechanics (even dealer mechanics) in North America to not pay attention to the oil requirements (or second guess what is specified in the manual), manufacturers may be hesitant to recommend longer oil change intervals, since the very specific oil requirements may be ignored in too many cases, resulting in problems.
Timothy J. Lee
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:43:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Timothy J. Lee) wrote:

Well if people are too stupid to follow the service recommendations then they deserve all the problems they get. Ford specify a certain oil for the Forcus for various reason including fuel economy/emmissions as well as engine longevity Again if people choose to ignore the manual then there should be no comeback on the manufacturer.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:02:05 -0400, "Dave Gower"

So there are caveats I wouldn't expect there not to be! most people know that stop start motoring causes premature wear that's why the service intervals say X miles or X months to cover such eventualities Same with dusty conditions. The fact is most people do average miles with a mixture of conditions and journey lengths.

Well if Ford etc feel some much less confident about extended service intervals in the States why institute them here in Europe I'm pretty sure the same issues will arise over here as in the US. IIRC the Japanese wre the first in Europe to increase the service intervals with all the other manufacturers playing catchup. One thing about Jap cars is the engines generally do go on forever.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:18:16 -0400, Dave Gower wrote:

Engine reliability is a far better commercial thing than long service intervals. It's OK to do oil change as recommended!
--
Kjell Harnesk, Sweden

Unsure about that, do you have any data (URL) to back up this statement? Anyway, the trick behind it is probably, that most if not all people over here don't drive that much a year with their petrol car, they'd have a diesel if the would and those have AFAIK shorter oil change intervals.
The few that might drive that much with a petrol car in a year, probably mostly drive long trips on some highway, which are far less "stress" for the whole car. Every cold start is the worst that can happen to an engine, AFAIR the manual says that a shorter oil change is recommended, if you use your car mainly for very short distances.
[..]
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

Not really, the link from Mobil Oil I provided earlier in this thread stated: Up to 18,000 miles/30,000 kilometres in gasoline engine cars Up to 30,000 miles/50,000 kilometres in diesel engine cars /per
[..]

Yep, but you left out the important information above:
"Fully synthetic formulation provides extended oil drain capability in VW-Audi cars using the long service schedule (WIV)" ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like you used the wrong ng?
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
| perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'

wrote in

My first entry was a response to the original posting in this thread, containing eg: "mental block about changing oil every 3,000 miles" and also the obvious Amsoil dealer spamming, them too probably in the wrong ng! /per
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:56:27 -0000, Michael Heiming

hi Micheal
That used to be true. My current Focus TDCi actually has the same Service interval as the Petrol variants i.e. 12.5k miles at least here in the UK.

Agreed short journeys are far more damaging on the engine. I think this is why Ford say 12.5k miles or every 12 months I know of a couple of Cars in my Family that only do around 1k miles per year and I imagine the engine wear is probably greater than on my diesel