Just found this great oil!

Page 2 of 2
    I find it amazing that you are all talking in terms of 10,000 km plus where here in Canada the change interval is 5,000 km under
severe conditions (short trips, around town) and 10,000 km as a maximium. Very strange since it is the same 2 liter, gas engine that was sold in Europe in 2003. Maybe the oil producers have better connections with Ford here in Canada.
    BTW, does anyone know if there is any real advantage to using the 5w20 oil that is called for rather than 10w30? Certainly it might help mileage, but what about protection? I live near Vancouver where it never really gets cold. Lately it has been over 30 celsius quite a bit. Seems that 10w30 would be a better idea to me. Also, about the only place I find the 5w20 is at Ford, and it is twice the price of discounted 10w30. It adds up quick when you need to change it every 5,000 km.

5w20 is definitely a winter oil, 10w30 for summer. 5w30 (available at most retail locations) is an all-season oil, covering both ends of the spectrum. In places like Vancouver, where it never gets really cold or hot, that will do perfectly. Most of the high-volume brands are quite adequate to protect a car used in normal driving.

There's lots and I really haven't the inclination to go on a search now. But if you're interested, I suggest you start with a Google Usenet search. The best place is non-brand-specific technical newsgroups. Rec.autos.tech has some really impressive people participating in it, and they have had some excellent threads on this topic in the past few years. I'm not an automotive professional, and that's where I go to meet my gurus.
There are of course many websites, but a danger here is that many have commercial or other agendas. There's lots of money to be made in automotive maintenance.
Cheers
In short, you don't.

Why? Never had any problems with the Ford recommended intervals. There's not a single reason for me to change anything about it.

The fun thing about it, I have been an automotive professional mechanic long ago, can't remember a single problem due to following the vendor recommend intervals.

Yep, by changing oil more often then it is really needed.
As stated before in this thread:
Driving Ford since decades, the cars do usually fall apart from rust long before any real problem with the engine.
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

Don't accuse someone unless you have proof. This is a huge topic and takes quite a bit of work to sort through the material available. I have a life.

The
Because you asked me for references. If you don't want an answer, don't ask.

I presume from the extension on your email that you worked in europe. If you read my post with attention, you would have seen that I said that the problems with long oil change intervals were in North America two decades or so ago, so of course you would not have experienced them. I think that Europeans today will learn differently.

No argument with either of these statements. Indeed, there is some discussion here in North America that current manufacturer's recommendations (3000 miles or 5000km) are too short, except in heavy-duty situations.
Dave Gower wrote:

Of which, you have shown us none.
> This is a huge topic and takes

If you can't take the time to back up what you post, then maybe you should live your life, and not make a fool of yourself here?
--
e-mail address fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my address in order to reply.

LOL...You claimed something strange about oil change interval, asked for an URL to backup your statement, you don't have any which seems to be obvious since you didn't post any and now I accuse you?
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
Michael Heiming wrote:

Not to mention, you have to be VERY worried if someone is citing usenet as their "authoritative source." Where's the actual scientific data?
I could say the sky is green with pink polka-dots. Just because I post it on usenet and someone could cite it through a google search doesn't mean it's true.
--
e-mail address fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my address in order to reply.

Please read my posts more carefully before replying so foolishly. If you followed my recommendation you would find what I have found - that there are some people on certain newsgroups who do know their material very well. This can be determined by following their posts over a number of threads on topics with which one is familiar. Usenet is not a "source" of anything - individual posters are. Sheesh.
Dave Gower wrote:

I would ask the same of you.

... that you are making statements and yet are always "too busy" to back them up with so much as a URL?

Oh, I research who I correspond with on usenet. You should probably stick to your world war II history and political discussions.

So what you're saying is, when you posted this:
http://tinyurl.com/6onqh
You were wrong?
--
e-mail address fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my address in order to reply.

I'm sure in the last 20 years there have been at least some major improvements in oil technology or are the oil companies lying in their advertising?
--
Alan

They have. But the oil still gets dirty, no matter how its chemistry is altered.
See link below for some empirical data on this subject. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

put
want