key program

anyone knows where in the San Jose, CA area I can get a ford key programmed for cheap? Dealers quote me $90 to $110. Greatmall locksmith quoted me $75. I wonder if there's a place with more reasonable price

thx

Reply to
dc

If you have 2 programmed keys, you should be able to buy a key on eBay and do it yourself like I did.

It was very simple to do after I had the key cut at a hardware store. I'm pretty sure that it cost me less than $20 after all was said and done.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
jamesd43081

I am aware of that. Thing is I only have 1 key and trying to get a 2nd one

thx

Tom wrote:

Reply to
dc

FWIW, I would be thinking of doing two keys so that I have, in my possession, a total of three keys....

However, In the event of a lost or stolen key, smart money would be on a trip to the dealership or locksmith and have the missing key "deprogrammed".

Reply to
Jim Warman

You can do it yourself, if you have a second key, or with only one key if you have the equipment needed to do it. You can buy it for around $5,000 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The code embedded in a key can't be changed. It's the car that gets "programmed" to recognize the keys. A locksmith can cut a key that will lock and unlock the doors; but getting the car to accept a new ignition key requires special equipment or two already accepted keys.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I guess all the conributors to this thread are in the US and maybe referring to older fords but in the UK newer Foci are NOT equipped to allow owners to program new keys. The central locking can be programmed but the immobiliser can only be taught about new keys by the dealer. They claim this is due to increased security - Security of income I reckon! A new key and programming will cost the equivalent of 200$ over here.

Moral - negotiate for a second key when you buy the car.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Neill, I beg to differ. I had bought a key blank for my '02 Escape and found the one locksmith in town that said he could cut it (my dealership moved to about 60 miles away). I bought the truck new, so I had 2 keys already. I gave him the blank and the one key that hadn't been used much (hoping for the best cut), and told him I also had the third key with me. He got to taking so much, he either forgot I had the third, or missed it when I told him that. He erased the original key, made sure the new one was already blank, then reprogrammed the two keys. After he was done, I reminded him again that I had the third, and asked if it would work also. The answer was no, so he had to erase and reprogram it, also. Now all 3 keys work. I hadn't planned on him programming them, all I wanted was for him to cut it and I would program it myself according to the instructions in the owner's manual. Since he missed the point that I had all the original keys, he didn't charge me anything, saying it was his bust. I tried to pay him just for cutting the key anyhow, but he refused to take anything. I don't mind the no charge, but I still feel he should have taken something.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

SNIP

Very true. Most locksmiths can now access the PATS system and register keys to the system.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

:>

[...]

Guess that's another example of differences between different countries. I bought my first car in 1961 (a used 1955 Ford). That one and every car I've ever bought since then, both new and used, has come with at least 2 keys without having to negotiate anything. The reason I say "at least 2 keys" is that a lot of American cars in the 60s and

70s (and maybe even early 80s) used one key for the ignition and sometimes the doors and another key for the trunk, glove box and sometimes the doors. The idea was that you could give the ignition key to a service person, valet, etc and they couldn't easily get in the trunk or glove box if they were locked. In those cases I ended up with 4 keys at time of purchase.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

The "issue" is that a key can't be "programmed" without access to the car -- something the OP might not have been aware of.

Reply to
Neill Massello