Key programming

The wife purchased a new key the other day for her 2001 Focus from a Ford dealership, but we cannot program it as explained in the car manual.
Our local none Ford garage said we need to use a computer to
program the new key.
For 65 you would think the dealer would program the key for nowt, but they want a further 40 to program the key.
That works out quite expensive just for a key.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:49:18 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

Did you read the part in the owner's handbook that says you need two working keys to program another?
BTW, later Fords, and many other vehicles, can only be dealer-programmed regardless.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

We have two working keys but it doesn't say anything about having two *remote* keys, we have one remote and one standard Ford none remote key.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 05:10:03 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

Can you confirm what you are trying to achieve?
Are you trying to get a third non-remote key to start the car, or are you trying to get a third remote key to work the central locking?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

I am trying to get a remote key to work properly on the car with an old none remote as spare.
We did manage to get the new remote key to unlock and lock the car but this new key would not start the car.
Stephen.