Long Term Focus Report (My own)

I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZTS, Leather Auto and so on.....I have about

90,000km on it as of 11/22/03. It has been the worst car I have owned as far as quality goes. Now that I see it being recommended on Consumer Reports, it's making me sick. One year of average reliability is enough for a recommendation??? WTF? My car is slowly but surely dying every day. I have spent $1000 out of my own money to fix all kinds of problems. WHile it was under warranty, I had over 20 problems!! Yes, over 20. The resale value is horrible. On the bright side, the car has a lot of room, and drives well. It's not really built as solid as Hondas and Toyotas, but it's more comfortable. If I had to do it over again, I would have not buy it.
Reply to
Alex Kondovski

"Alex Kondovski" wrote

Just wondering Alex...if you were like me (2000 wagon) and quite happy with the quality, would you have posted to share your happiness?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
badraptor

Well, I'm happy with my Focus, but maintenance isn't everything. Sometimes there are just bad cars. We had a 96 Stratus that we bought in 98, had the oil changed every 3,000 miles and always had everything maintained and checked out, and the head gasket blew up not once, but twice. Anyways, I don't ever touch the first two model years of cars. My Focus is keeping me happy so far :-p

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

Reply to
badraptor

I have an 18 month old 2 ltr Zetec. Was left stranded for four hours on the motorway hard shoulder yesterday - the cooling fan had burnt out taking with it some of the other wiring!!!!

When I first got my Focus I loved it, but bit by bit strange rattles are appearing, a couple of 'bits' have fallen off inside (look like brackets for something or other) and now this. The handling has also become twitchy - I no longer feel safe in my Focus!!!! :-(

What I don't know is, are these manufacturing faults or the result of something done in the garage during servicing.

Ann

Reply to
Ann

You just posted that you are happy. I also mentioned that I like the handling and room inside. I have posted on Carpoint & Edmunds with positive evaluations of other cars I have owned.

Reply to
Alex Kondovski

I have changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, oil & filter every

5000km, brake pads twice, (front & rear), all new rotors, new suspensions springs, new rear window motor, new latches on rear doors (rusted) and on trunk lid and so on. And guess what, I even rotate the tires. I HOPE FOR FORD'S SAKE, OTHER TECHNICIANS DON'T HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE AS YOU. MAYBE IT'S TIME TO RETIRE. BLAME THE CUSTOMER, AND SEE THEM DIS-APPEAR FROM YOUR DEALERSHIP.
Reply to
Alex Kondovski

THEN GET THE OTHER CARS BACK.

positive evaluations of other cars I have owned.

Reply to
badraptor

SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS THAT CONSUMER REPORTS IS WRONG? A BIG COMPANY LIKE THAT IS WRONG? THIS IS WHAT THEY DO DAY IN AND DAY OUT! AND IT MAKES YOU SICK? THEY BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF SOME POOR FOCUS AND IT DIDNT FALL APART ON THEM?MAYBE JUST MAYBE THE TESTERS WERE PAYED OFF BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY! WHO KNOW MAYBE JUST MAYBE YOU GOT THE CAR THEY TESTED!!!!!!! ONLY THE SHADOW NOWS!

Reply to
badraptor

A 3 year old car with 90,000km and you put $1000 into it? Is that supposed to be an indictment or an endorsement? I should be so lucky.

It seems to me a lot of people on these groups have unrealistic expectations. It's only a machine, and an inexpensive one at that. You have to maintain it. You have to fix it. And you have to budget for these things. I'm told at Daytona they run a car hard for 500 miles and have to rebuild the thing.

P.S. If the "little stuff" bothers you, avoid buying early model years in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Anne

Reply to
badraptor

Take it easy buddy. I am telling it like it is. Oh, yea just heard on the news there is another recall. It seems that a lot of people are complaining to NHTSA about stalling/hesitation problems. Damn Focus drivers, must be abusing their cars!! Badraptor, you remind me of that Iraqi information minister that kept on telling bull-shit even though the US troops were 20 yards away from him. You either are in denial that the 2000/2001 Ford Focus vehicles have bad quality, or maybe you are just a troll trying to argue for the sake of arguing. There is no denying that 2000 & 2001 Foci have bad quality. People should know that, and demand that they get better quality for their hard earned dollars.

Reply to
Alex Kondovski

Reply to
badraptor

Some of this sounds like "elective surgury". I've learned to 'live with' some annoying things in life for the sole purpose of not being unhappy. My brother in law used to do this to his cars too. Wear 'em out and re-build 'em, over and over. He put an oversized chevy Impala radiator in a Ford Cpri car 'cause it kept overheating on him 'cause, by his own bragging, he drove it too hard. John

------------------ . . .

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor

He he he. Oh yeah, he's quite a character. Not your typical gear-head who wants to "muscle-up" a car. more a high-speed cornering maniac. I eventually bought that car from him. A 1973 Capri "autobon" edition with a v6. By the time I got it the motor was pretty beat, but the suspension was super tight and it had headers and custom exhaust. Quite the fun car. When I he was dating my sis, he drove a 1962 Volvo that was real loud and real fast. Then he got a 6 cyl corvair. Reeeeeeely hot car, that thing. All of his cars have weird modifications to suit his offbeat tastes. Driving with him is always a thrill not unlike an amusement park thrill ride. John

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor
22 Recalls in 2000/2001 = Quality is No. 1? NOT!

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

See:

LenMinNJ