Loss of speedo 1998 1.8

My speedo drops out from time to time for a few miles then will suddenly come back,sometimes I lose the mileage recorder as well ,just shows horizontal bars.Any clues to the cause of the problem would be appreciated.
Mike.H.
renew the vehicle speed sensor at the back of the gearbox
Mike.H. wrote:

If you Google in this NG for VSS or vehicle speed sensor you will find lots of information, including links to "DIY" pages.
Sometimes just the connector to it needs cleaning up, allegedly. Sadly, it didn't help me!
The sensor is difficult to reach. You need to raise the front then access it from underneath.
Bottom line - 24UKP and a fiddly 45minute job, or about 100UKP to a dealer.
Replacement sensors are improved. I replaced mine over a year ago and all is well.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Any clues to the cause of the problem would be appreciated.

=====================================Many thanks for your help Mike.H.