Lots of brake dust - new ST

I just bought a 2005 Focus ST and am totally pleased with it, but have one question. Is it normal to have the pads or rotors shed unusual amounts of
dust from all four brakes during the first couple of hundred miles on the car? Forms a thick layer of dust on wheel spokes, wheel rims, and fenders trailing the wheels. I presume this is from pads and rotors smoothing-off the rough machined surfaces, before they mate properly?

You will notice this with modern brake materials that no longer contain asbestos. I assume you have alloy wheels. You will be cleaning the brake dust off at regular intervals :(
It is normal with a Focus - unless you are really writing about 'clouds of dust'.
Do you have disks (rotors) on all 4 wheels. On my UK Focus with disks at the front and drums on the rear it's only the front wheels that get dirty with brake dust quickly.
--
Alan

Yes, the ST in the US has four wheel disks. And all four give off the dust. I am used to the amount of dust that slowly collects on my 4 disk Crown Vic, but I get a months worth of dust in a few days with the Focus....... Anyway, thanks for the advice from all respondents - I'll just get used to cleaning the wheels more often, and watch my brake use.

Simply brake less or clean alloys more often.
Roger Taylor wrote:

You're not going to like it but sooner or later:
http://www.batinc.net/

Nice to see BAT is still around. I remember ordering hot cams, forged pistons and other goodies for my Fiesta almost 20 years ago...