loud low pitched noise only at high speed

Hi My focus used to be nice and quiet at high speeds, now at 50 m.p.h. a low pitched noise appears which is fairly loud and the pitch/frequency is proportional to the speed.
I haven't the first idea what this could be, any ideas? I'll have to take it to fords but I'm a little wary of the fact that its a bit of an odd problem that they may not be able to solve. The car has done 50k so far
Thanks for any suggestions
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Have you changed your tyres recently? What brand of tyres are fitted at the moment?
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
Rear wheel bearings? /per

is
take
problem
I'd agree with per, sounds like wheel bearings to me. Recommend that you get it sorted ASAP as a wheel hub flying off a car is dangerious good lucky. Take it to fords for a full check they should be able to sort it quickly for you.
Nick

I believe there has been recalls and/or extended warranty on rear wheel bearings depending on what country it was sold in. Check with your Ford garage. /per

pitch/frequency
Sure sounds like wheel bearings to me, my 51 plate focus 2.0 ( 20k miles now ) has had both rear wheel bearings fail in the last 6 months. My local dealer did not seem surprised at the failures, maybe its another "feature" of the Focus. Happy motoring, i'm buying Japanese next time.
PJM

is
take
problem

The problem is, the rear wheel bearings on your focus were likely made in Japan.

local
Why?
It was the wheel bearings, all fixed
Ta F