Low mpg - any ideas on how to improve?

Just bought a 2006 Ford Focus Ghia Estate with Auto and Cruise control, 2 litre unleaded petrol engine. Mileage 27,900 miles.
Manual gives mpg as 42 mpg average of urban and non-urban.
I only average 32 mpg when just I am driving and no contents in the car. This is even when I fill the tank with super unleaded. mpg is from the car computer. I've verified it by a manual calculation also.
Tire pressures are correct. The car was serviced lat a Ford dealer here in the UK ast week. The Ford Dealer said all the correct settings were downloaded from the computer so all settings are correct..
Any ideas how to improve the mpg so it's more like what the manual says?
Or is the manual specification mpg all wrong in the first place.
Thanks
Peter

42mpg is the average of what I am getting at the moment... and that is for a 2.0tdci diesel so theres no chance you are going to get that for a petrol vehicle in my opinion. Something else you will find is that this is the time of the year when MPG's are lowest... you will achieve at least an additional 4mpg when summer comes as engines work more efficiently when they are warm. You will only achieve the very best mpg's in mid summer on an empty motorway on cruise control... I achieved 51mpg last year on a long run...but only the once!

I think you are reading the manual wrong - as BigGirlsBlouse says, those sound right for a diesel. The US EPA estimate www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm (using US gallons) is 32 mpg highway for the petrol version, which is the only engine available here. Your results seem to be right in line with that, given the gallon and usage adjustments.
Mike
Peter Maddern wrote:

on 'Focus fuel economy' in this newsgroup for mine and others experiences.
Paul R

My Focus has got a feedback loop wired into the throttle, so that when you depress the right foot it goes surge and whoosh and "more please". That may be what is doing in your fuel economy....
Its nothing to do with tyre pressures, fuel choice, weight, tuning or anything but the ability to drive whilst barely touching the throttle. Impossible in a Focus.
Lol

Noticed that about my 08 Focus. Mash gas pedal, uses more gas, AND, vice-versa. Weird... Maybe they can fix that. ROFLOL
--
Dave

Another fallacy, the home.

I am getting 46mpg (UK) at the moment - 1.6 litre T-ViCT petrol 2006 Focus Ghia. It's all down to technique. If you thrash the balls off it what do you expect. Avoid braking at all costs and go very easy with the throttle. I do 2000 rpm max unless I am in fifth. Think ahead - treat driving like a game of chess - choose the right lane, try to maintain momentum - quite often you will find yourself overtaking cars that whizzed past you earlier - and arrive in one piece, refreshed, and fully enjoying the journey. Try it sometime.
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:30:27 +0000, Dave Wilson wrote:

Sure you wouldn't have been better off with the 1.4? :-)
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Not as efficient :-p
If you want sub 20 mpg go for the ST - no one said it was easy ;-)
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:29:19 +0000, Dave Wilson wrote:

LOL!
Regardless of engine size, even after 10 years of owning one I find the Focus such good fun to drive that tyre wear is almost as big a problem as fuel consumption.
I've done a set of fronts in 10K in the past; oh, and I'm well past the first flush..
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

10K! I managed 18K on my first set when I too used to get <33mpg, now with my 'new' driving technique I have 35K on the present set and still 4mm left! (P6000's, same as originals).
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:50:17 +0000, Dave Wilson wrote:

I'm pretty certain I've never got 20K out of a pair of fronts on any FWD car I've owned, so my driving technique couldn't be described as frugal I guess.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Obviously the torque of the 2.0 TDCI is not going to help with tyre wear, but i found 20k+ was easy with my petrol focus, and i didnt drive like a granny either!
Tim.
You seem to come up with assumptions.
"If you thrash the balls off it what do you expect" - I don't thrash it - I drive with an extremley light foot.
"Try it sometime" - I certainly don't overtake for the sake of it.
Peter
I am getting 46mpg (UK) at the moment - 1.6 litre T-ViCT petrol 2006 Focus Ghia. It's all down to technique. If you thrash the balls off it what do you expect. Avoid braking at all costs and go very easy with the throttle. I do 2000 rpm max unless I am in fifth. Think ahead - treat driving like a game of chess - choose the right lane, try to maintain momentum - quite often you will find yourself overtaking cars that whizzed past you earlier - and arrive in one piece, refreshed, and fully enjoying the journey. Try it sometime.

Bloody hell, you must have alot of people overtaking you- the 1.6vct is no ball of fire until 4000rpm and then its far from sprightly.... I had a hire car for a week and it spent 95% of its time between 4 and 6500rpm to get it to move...
Tim.