Maximum actual speed on a US ZX3?

I have a 2002 and want to take a trip out west. Heard that some places have no speed limit.

I have driven for several hours at a time at 70 MPH without problem on our local interstates. Mine is a 5 speed.

Reply to
john czarnuszewicz

UK spec Focus 1.8 is happy crusing ~90/100MPH though does guzzle fuel a little at that speed.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

Max. speed depends on the engine/model.

70mph*1.6=112.0 km/h (Meaning you were creeping)

According to GPS, which has an accuracy of +/- 0.1 km/h, my 2.0l goes without much startup 209 km/h (130.62 mph). Perhaps even a little more with some startup. The speedometer just stops at about 220 km/h but the revs climb a little more. But then I have only tested this twice, the car is fast enough. The license mentions Vmax=201 km/h, looks like I got a good one. ;)

Asked my Ford dealer about it, he said probably every Focus would go a little faster then written in the license, because according to some law we have here, you can take the car back to your dealer if it doesn't do the Vmax written.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

The engine will cut out at 108 mph.

Reply to
bonGOfury

Maximum speed depends a lot on wind speed, road elevation... so it is easy to get some extra kms/h than announced. I have seen 215 kms/h in the speedo of my 2.0i, and I am sure it could go a little bit higher, but it was enough for me :-) I did not have my GPS when I made this proofs, but over 140 kms/h in the speedo, GPS says 10 kms/h less, so 215 should be around 205 kms/h.

Reply to
Carlos Focus

"*had* no speed limit" may be more accurate.

After the old nationwide Interstate speed limit was lifted, Montana made news when it declared that the speed limit on its highways woud be whatever was "reasonable and prudent." This was interpreted as about 100mph, assuming that it was daylight, the weather was good, no other traffic, etc. Unfortunately, this policy didn't work out in real life. People from adjoining states would bring in their high-performance cars just to blast through the Montana countryside at speeds well above 100. Eventually, Montana's highway people settled on a hard limit of 75 or so, if I heard correctly.

So, the ZX3 can cruise happily along at the speed limit in all 50 states.

Reply to
Benjamin Robinson

Ack, my speedo shows according to GPS about 5% to much, it simply stops just before 220 km/h, but the revs climb a little more, albeit this is my first Ford, out of five, that does this well.

Only did some slight modifications like K&N air-cleaner replacement and the additional routing of air flow from the 2.0l automatic (excellent tuning - original Ford for only 10! Euro). ;)

Greetings

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Could you please explain this a little bit more? Thanks!

Reply to
Carlos Focus

Well, yes and no, simply look at the pics, with the original one and the one from the 2.0l automatic:

(The text is German, use babelfish.altavista.com if you like - Don't know the guy who made this page, just used google to search some pics)

IMHO it runs a bit more smooth with it and even if you might not really mention the 1-2 PS it should give you, through colder air that gets to the engine, were do you get that for only 10! Euro? ;)

Please report back, if you want to get it from your next Ford dealer and have tested it out.

Reply to
Michael Heiming