Mercon 5

I had my manual transmission oil changed at the Ford dealer and it cost $179.95 plus tax. Is it just me or is this a gouge. $39.00 a liter for Mercon 5.

Isn't Mercon 5 an ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)? Why use that if you have a manual transmission? And 4.6 litres sound a bit too much for a manual transmission. Is it really a manual trans Focus? /per

Only 3 liters the rest was labor.Standard transmissions have used ATF for a long time. Yes it is a 5 spd std Focus

My Focus manual does not state Mercon V as an alternative for the manual transmisson anyway. And the "V" additives are for smoother action with the friction bands in the automatic when shifting, which does not at all apply to steel based synchromesh in a manual box. Thus the expensive Mercon V seems unnecessary. Standard Mercon should do as far as I understand. But I've been wrong once before ;-) /per

I called the dealer and they said that was what it called for. I told them they were pretty picky on lubrication for a transmission they would only warrantee for 60,000km. Amsoil mercon 5 is only $11.65 at Canadian Tire.I think they are crooks.

The manual transmission has had a lot of criticism for being hard to shift when cold in the winter, maybe the ATF can help here. Why did you ask for new oil at this time anyway? Car manufacturers are not allowed, as far as I understand, to specify a brand for proper serviceing, just a specification, at least in USA and Sweden. Don't know about Canada. When they have made the change, as you ordered, it may be a little late for haggling. /per