miles for clutch

Under average driving conditions how many mils should a clutch last (std transmission)

Reply to
art

You would need to more carefully define "average driving conditions". Also the driver is more of a factor than the conditions.

I have been driving for 43 years, at an average annual milage of around

15,000. The vehicles have been everything from old heaps to brand new. Some of them I have kept for more than six years. I have *never* had to replace the clutch in any of them.

OTOH, I know of drivers who regard the clutch as a wear item to be replaced every couple of years. Just remember that it only wears at all when your foot is on the pedal!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have also easily gotten more than 150'000km out of a clutch. Rev-matching on downshifts and *never* riding the clutch pedal makes a big difference, as does an efficient start in 1st gear (not too much slipping). My sister, on the other hand, managed to toast one in less than 25'000km.

Reply to
Stephen F.

I put 250,000 kilometres (150,000 miles) on a clutch on a Plymouth Horizon. Car went to the crusher with its original clutch. It saw a mix of country and city driving, including commute road-warrior duty.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I'm an "easy" driver: acceleration matching the prevailing traffic, slow steady use of the breaks. On my 1997 focus 5spd, I had 145,000 miles on the original clutch & breaks when I sold it.

So far that has been the most trouble free car I ever owned.

Now driving an 05 focus 5sp zx4.

Reply to
Vic Dura