Miss

Page 1 of 2
My sons 2001 Focus has a bad miss in it. I changed the plugs because it was time and it didn't fix it. While the car is running I pulled 1 plug wire at
a time to see if the motor will pull down. 3 of the 4 did pull the motor down. The 4th one did not. Each time I pulled the good pull wire off of the distributor I could see/hear the electrical pulses and they are real loud and powerful. The bad one doesn't may any noise but will shock you just a little. Is the distributor bad?
You shouldn't do that. It is ok with old cars, but with relatively newer cars equiped with ecu, you can damage the ecu/other parts that way.
Unfortunately you should go to car electritian/mecanic equiped to resolve this easily.

Ronnie wrote:

When were the plug leads last replaced?
These need to be changed every 40,000 miles for genuine Ford ones. Likewise with the plugs, which should be gapped at 1mm.
I would suggest doing that first, then post back.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

New plugs, new wires. Still the same problem. Our mech at work said he would stop by at 0400 in the morning to put his handheld test device on it and give me the error codes. That hopefully will give me some hints on what to do...

Well the error codes I have isn't in my book. I'll have to go looking for them on the www. The codes are P1130, P1131, P0171
Ronnie wrote:

Try
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadidY286
wrote

All the codes appear to be related
<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0171-system-too-lean-ban k-1-oxygen-sensor.php>
<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php
<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
Another alternative is the coil pack. When mine failed the car was running as though one cylinder wasn't firing. The error codes I got were totally unconnected with the fault. Most probably the fault with the coil pack introduced interference into the engine management causing erroneous codes.

--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

Right, change the coil pack next. They do cause problems, BUT usually caused by either duff leads, or plugs with too large a gap.- the HT has no where to go and finds the weakest please which is internally in the coil pack.
Tim..

One Coil Pack installed, check engine light all gone! Car runs 100% better. Took it to have it inspected and it failed due to the reset of the error codes. They said put 45 miles on it and bring it back! Beer store is 20 miles away, round trip is 40! I'll take it back in the am to see if it passes. I bet it will. I'll post my results in the am!

No check endine light still. I think everbody for helping me. Peace out!

the check engine light came back on. Back to the drawing board :(
wrote

<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0171-system-too-lean-ban k-1-oxygen-sensor.php>
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

OK, the only error code left is P0171 bank1. Here we go a looking again!

the coil pack that had gone down has let unburnt fuel down into the exhaust and given you the emissions fault code.

Thanks! I actually work at a ford dealer in Essex. (uk) Although I am in the bodyshop as a fitter I do keep up to date with the goings on and show a particular interest in ford's.
Glad to hear its all sorted now! did u have to have a new oxygen sensor fitted too or did a good drive/thrashing sort it out?
MC.