Mk1 Focus TDCI Aircon (UK)

My 52 reg 1.8 TDCi Focus has been sat unused for a month while I've been on holiday.
Having driven it today for the first time since, it seems the Aircon isnt
working at all.
i.e the blower works, the Aircon light comes on with the switch, but no cold air.
Selecting re-circ doesnt make any difference.
Its been very cold around here in the last few weeks - not sure if this may be a factor.
Are there any DIY actions I can take, or am I off to see the Aircon man??
TIA
Andy
Acedrew wrote:

The A/C won't work if the ambient is 4 deg C or less.
Can you hear the clunk of the A/C compressor electric clutch engaging? (This won't happen if the low pressure switch has opened due to loss of gas.) If not, check the fuse.
If the clutch is not engaging, and you feel confident in your ability to do so, next step would be to *briefly* bridge the low pressure switch connector. If the clutch then engages, it's likely there is no gas in the system. Caveat: do no run like this for more than a few seconds or the compressor will be destroyed!
Have you had the car for some time? If so, has the A/C ever been regassed?
Best bet is that you will indeed need a trip to the Aircon man.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

thanks Chris - will fiddle accordingly.

Chris - Forgot to say:
The usual "clunk" as I press the button is definitely absent.
Now I think back, the aircon had been losing its edge (i.e not as cold) in recent weeks before it failed altogether.
Car is now at 100k, and I tend to use the aircon most of the time to keep it healthy. Never regassed (yet).
Cheers
Andy

A good check over (the driers tend to rot out at the base- front wheel arch) then vac out and re charge is the first move.
Tim..
thx tim

Hmmm..... Tried to get it regassed but failed pressure test.
Any suggestions as to the most likely pipe to have a squint at?
TIA

As i said! Bottom of the drier rotted or the bottom of the condensor rotted. Neither hard to diagnose.
Tim..
Twas the rubber pipe near the drier Tim - thx for your advice - spot on.

No worries- glad you are now once again chilly!
Tim..
Ah - but all is still not well....
- Fat rubber pipe was replaced and system vac'd and recharged - now holds pressure OK. - But the aircon is now only barely cool - selecting recirc feels to give better results (or just more flow?) - but still not the icy blast as before. - The characteristc "clunk" when the aircon switch is pressed is absent (albeit the green light comes on ok) - Flow with the re-circ button pressed is fine, but flow on "External" is very low - like something is blocked. - Now I think about it flow has been dropping off for a while. Blower sounds a little noisy too. - Pollen filten was changed a couple of months back.
Any more clues Tim?
TIA
Andy
Was thinking about the Blend Valve?

You need to have the system pressure tested again to make sure it has a full charge, and check what the HP and LP sides are doing, also monitor the compressor clutch and condensor fan operation.
Only after that check the heater unit.
Tim..