My '00 ZX3 Is Back in the Shop

Well, my 2000 ZX3 is back in the shop for what could possibly be it's

5th, that is right, 5th, fuel pump unit... They are already 3 hours into diagnosing it, and cannot find the exact problem. It started a week back, driving home, a highhway, starting to go uphill, all of a sudden, very little power... Downshift from 5th, to 4th, to 3rd... crawl uphill at 30mph...

Dropped it at my mechanic, not a Ford dealer, he says the error code reads P0351, the ignition coil pack, so he replaces it. It makes the car run better, not likely to stall out, idles almost at normal RPM's, but still fairly rough, and the temp gauge does not go to it's normal position, about a quarter of the way up the scale.

He cannot figure out what is happening, thinks it is the fuel pump, which I had suggested to him. Said I should take it back to the dealer, especially since the fuel pump is under that extended warranty program.

Well I drove it to the dealer, not the one I bought it from, they are HORRIBLE, so I took it to another Ford dealer. When I drove it out to them, it was in the same state my mechanic had it, until the last 2 or

3 miles, then it ran normal, but with a check engine light.

I talked to the manager in the service department, they have already 3 hours into diagnosing it, but with no solution yet. Ford suggested to check the ERG system, check grounds, etc, on top of what I told them and what the ODB codes tell them.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks....

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin, I am going from memory here, and I am just a back yard mechanic...

I had an Ignition coil go bad and my S-10 Blazer just stopped moving. Engine compartment had a horrible burning electrical smell. Maybe yours was just starting to go bad??

A long while back someone had a similar problem and discovered WATER pooling in one of the Spark Plug Sockets? The engine comes up to temp...the water evaporates and your problem disapears prior to arriving at the dealer?? That might impact your power if you lost one of your Cyclinders. Might also report a bad Ignition coil code??

Was the Engine "Missing"?

Good Luck.

Dan

2003 ZX5 42,000 miles remove the etcs for replies

Reply to
Dan